Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cooling fan rubbing - anyone ever had this happen

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default cooling fan rubbing - anyone ever had this happen

Wondering if anyone has ever experienced this and can recommend an easy solution before I start grinding plastic.

I had to replace my radiator due to leaky tank seals. While the fans were off, I decided to move the passenger-side fan to the driver's side and leave the passenger side empty. The driver's side fan sounded rough when it was hot so decided to remove it before it fails. It's a dedicated track car so doesn't see hot traffic jams, extended idle times, nor AC.

When I reinstalled the fan housing, the blades rub the shroud at the bottom. It spun freely when assembled on the bench.

Any ideas?? Maybe the shroud is twisted, causing the plastic around the fan to become out of round?? The shroud is flush on the radiator but maybe the (new) rad is twisted?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fan shroud can go in two ways, but only one way is correct. The fans can go in 3 different ways, but only one is correct.

Your best bet is to guess and check. Make sure the shroud is on right (so as to not distort it), and that your fan and motor are oriented the right way on the shroud. If I remember correctly, the plug on the fan should be pointing down.

Also, my fan blades get rather close (within a 1/16") to my shroud and a quick removal of some plastic solved this, but make sure everything is the right way first.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Thanks Cory,

The fan is on correctly as I lifted it from the passenger side and immediately put it on the driver's side (plug is oriented downward). The shroud has indentations in the supports where the wire harness attach so I know it is on there properly. Nice to know that I'm not the only person who experienced some rubbing.

The blades are close all the way around as before. I'll play with it to ensure it's not twisted slightly. If so, I may have to space it out in places to level. The new radiator I bought could be a little warped.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:43 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Default update - wasn't rubbing on the shroud

Just wanted to update everyone in the hope that it benefits someone in the future.

Finally had a chance to troubleshoot my driver's side cooling fan that seemed to be rubbing on the shroud. After the clearances around the bottom and sides seemed fine, I removed the airbox to check the top area of the shround.

Turns out the blades weren't rubbing on the shroud, but rather the upper coolant hose. Glad I didn't go through with my plan of 'just let it rub until it wears enough plastic away.'

I had replaced all coolant hoses and had removed the hard pipe that connects the upper rad hose to the short hose at the water neck. When I reinstalled, I had angled the hard pipe downward too much, putting the hose in harms way. Besides re-orienting the hard pipe, I put a hose clamp around the upper hose and metal coolant cross-over pipe that sits directly above it to keep the hose from drooping.

Quick Reply: cooling fan rubbing - anyone ever had this happen