Question about 944online.com water pump kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 AM
60Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 944online.com water pump kit

Hey all,

Just purchased an '86 951. Had my old man take a look at it, cut a deal, and now it's going on a boat and heading over here to Seoul.

I plan to replace the timing belt, water pump, when it gets here before I put more than a couple of miles on it just to be safe. I'm shopping around online; and so far it SEEMS that the best deal is the water pump/timing belt kit on 944online.com. Are these kits reputable? Do they have a history of failure? How about the difference between rebuilt and brand new? I understand the common sense thinking that brand new > rebuilt. But I'm more interested in solid, empirical data. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the rebuilds?

I'm sure this has already been addressed a couple times on the forum. But either i'm too tired or too stupid to enter the correct keywords that will unearth the information.
\
Thanks in advance.

Kyle
Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

I have bought 2 of these kits for different 951s and they have been best value I could find, pretty much everything you need to get the whole job done. Go with a new pump though because I have heard bad things about them and the cost of one going out on you is not worth it. If I remember correctly the only thing that the kits did not come with was a thermost for the turbo water feed. It came with the main thermostat but I had to reuse the little one for the turbo water feed on the pump. They may have changed that or you may not need to replace but I figure while your in there you might as well.

Good kit though and Ian is great with support, if its hot where you live you can ask for a lower temp main thermostat and it will keep you running cooler in the summer
Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
60Driver
Instructor

Ok, so it's a good kit. I should get the new pump. That sounds like a good plan to me. It gets really humid over here in the summer. I wouldn't say really hot though, not like arizona or southern california hot... more like alabama or georgia in august hot.

Thanks for the reply.

Kyle
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 AM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Well I am in Mississippi, and it gets pretty hot, but I put in a lower temp thermo and a lower temp fan switch and after about 5 minutes my 951 runs right at the first water temp mark for the rest of the drive no matter what, in 30-100 degree weather. It makes me happy
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
eatiles
Instructor

New owner too, also it is a good time too to change all the water hoses under the hood, there is a kit also. Enjoy your car, Happy Holidays

Quick Reply: Question about 944online.com water pump kit