Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think of Powerhaus Kits???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 400hp944
I'm running the Powerhaus K-27/29, Auto-"Un"athority MAF and chips along with 52lb injectors.
Powerhaus was great until they got my money. Support continued for a while then never returned my calls. Auto "Un"athority is a joke.

I must say, I really enjoy my set up. I wanted a street car with tons of torque (387lbs at the wheels!!! @ 19psi). The Powerhaus stuff delivered once I put the Split Second fuel controller on it (thanks Tim @ SFR!). The turbo spools right now and hits peak torque at around 3500rpm. I love it.

K27/29????

This implies 27 family compressor/wheel and 29 family turbine/wheel.
Surely Powerhouse is not selling it like this?

I think you guys mean to say 29/27, right?

And just so we are clear, even if it is still a 29/27, I can't think of a more wrong piece of **** to put on a 2.5 944. Sorry, that's the way it is.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:27 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
K27/29????

This implies 27 family compressor/wheel and 29 family turbine/wheel.
Surely Powerhouse is not selling it like this?

I think you guys mean to say 29/27, right?

And just so we are clear, even if it is still a 29/27, I can't think of a more wrong piece of **** to put on a 2.5 944. Sorry, that's the way it is.
Powerhouse does put a K29 compressor wheel into a K27 housing and mate it either to a #8 or #10 KKK hot housing, generally on the 2.8 and 3.0 litres.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

K29/27 with a #10 set up for a 3ltr and it put down over 500 crank.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

"Powerhouse does put a K29 compressor wheel into a K27 housing and mate it either to a #8 or #10 KKK hot housing, generally on the 2.8 and 3.0 litres."

That's right, and who knows what exactly it's supposed to be called.
So, just because somebody might use the wrong nomenclature, one shouldn't assume it's a "piece of ****" turbo.

It's a good product; it's the same turbo that DFastest has/had on his car.
Powerhaus is good , but I believe they're out of business. Or, maybe he's just not doing engines anymore.

The autothority MAF was one of the best products, in its day. The original founder/owner of Autothority was the brains behind the development of their MAF and software. He's the only one (that I know of) that changed the mapping in the KLR chip for boost control.
Sadly, his knowledge left with his retirement. The clowns that run the place now; well, I don't know how they stay in business.
The MAF is still good. The problem was when you go to large injectors, they have a hard time getting the tune right. They eventually got it, but acted all cocky, like it was a NASA project and nobody else could do it.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 AM
George D
Drifting

Guys, PowerHaus was the **** when these cars were first being modified. This was about 10-15 years ago. My first 951 had PowerHaus stuff on it and we hit 330whp and 340wtq with an old time Split Second fuel controller. This car hit max tq by 3500rpm and max hp by 3600rpm. This car in it's day was really a nice ride and performed this way for years.

If you get this stuff CHEAP, it's really fine but NOT worth what it's being sold for new. Powerhaus never took advantage of the newer products for our cars, and stayed with their original products to this day.

Their turbos are basic old school KKK products and work fine. For someone that picks this stuff up for pennies on the dollar will have a decent performing 951 for little money spent.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:21 AM
George D
Drifting

OOPS, MAX HP BY 6600rpm. My error folks.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:46 AM
philcav7
Racer

Originally Posted by George D
For someone that picks this stuff up for pennies on the dollar will have a decent performing 951 for little money spent.
Anybody have one for sale? I've got some nice shiney pennies...
Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by philcav7
Anybody have one for sale? I've got some nice shiney pennies...
See page one of this thread, Evil 944 has one cheap.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I'll chime in. I'll back up what George D said. I have the WHOLE package from David at Powerhaus. 3 liter, 16valve. I went with him because when you got a motor from him, it came with a warranty. I put out 564 at the crank, 480whp and almost the same tq. I got nothing but great customer service from him. Put me up at his home overnight sometimes when I went to pick up my car. He doesn't like to talk too much on the phone with people trying to do it themselves. He has his way of doing things and if you want him to do it fine. If you don't, then don't try to get his information out of him so you can do it yourself. I can see his point.

I think the turbo's he made were very good for their time. they are custom. For KKK, they are the best out there I think. Even now. My numbers are nothing to sneeze at and I get 1 bar at 3200 rpm WITH my ****ty chips.

David followed the path of Jon Millegde and is semi retired. He is now running the shop himself and still building motors as he told me people still come to him for his motors. They regularly end up on the podiums and last a long time. His own 3 liter is very similar to mine and has almost 100,000 miles on it. He used to drive it to the track and back.

Now, Back to what George D said. As good of a builder he is, he still uses AutoThority Chips. My car did that power with the Autothority chips and maf, the motor running so rich it went off the dyno graph. I'm estimated at missing out on approximately 40whp and tq.

My motor was built about 6 years ago. I've known and been going to him for about 10 years. I think he's a stand up guy if there ever was one. He is not on the boards. His stuff is best used when building full motors. My motor is now outdated, in my opinion. If I were to just go for a plug and play set up, Vitesse is the way to go. If you do go for the Turbo, he does make great KKK turbos with cool custom touches. Then Russel makes great chips as well. The guys at Autothority aren't that friendly and their products are way out of date.

I'm planning on upgrading. I'm hoping to go full ball bearing turbo, bigger intercooler, exhaust, injectors, and different engine management, whether chips or full engine management. I am looking for the huge hp and more importantly, huge tq. I've kicked way more powerfull hp cars because of my tq.

That's my .02
Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Ok, I'll chime in. I'll back up what George D said. I have the WHOLE package from David at Powerhaus. 3 liter, 16valve. I went with him because when you got a motor from him, it came with a warranty. I put out 564 at the crank, 480whp and almost the same tq. I got nothing but great customer service from him. Put me up at his home overnight sometimes when I went to pick up my car. He doesn't like to talk too much on the phone with people trying to do it themselves. He has his way of doing things and if you want him to do it fine. If you don't, then don't try to get his information out of him so you can do it yourself. I can see his point.

I think the turbo's he made were very good for their time. they are custom. For KKK, they are the best out there I think. Even now. My numbers are nothing to sneeze at and I get 1 bar at 3200 rpm WITH my ****ty chips.

David followed the path of Jon Millegde and is semi retired. He is now running the shop himself and still building motors as he told me people still come to him for his motors. They regularly end up on the podiums and last a long time. His own 3 liter is very similar to mine and has almost 100,000 miles on it. He used to drive it to the track and back.

Now, Back to what George D said. As good of a builder he is, he still uses AutoThority Chips. My car did that power with the Autothority chips and maf, the motor running so rich it went off the dyno graph. I'm estimated at missing out on approximately 40whp and tq.

My motor was built about 6 years ago. I've known and been going to him for about 10 years. I think he's a stand up guy if there ever was one. He is not on the boards. His stuff is best used when building full motors. My motor is now outdated, in my opinion. If I were to just go for a plug and play set up, Vitesse is the way to go. If you do go for the Turbo, he does make great KKK turbos with cool custom touches. Then Russel makes great chips as well. The guys at Autothority aren't that friendly and their products are way out of date.

I'm planning on upgrading. I'm hoping to go full ball bearing turbo, bigger intercooler, exhaust, injectors, and different engine management, whether chips or full engine management. I am looking for the huge hp and more importantly, huge tq. I've kicked way more powerfull hp cars because of my tq.

That's my .02
Talk to Tim at Speed force racing, He would love to get his hands on your project I bet.

IPSC
Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951

That's my .02
Thanks for your .02 Joe.
I would have to agree with everything you said. I'm not sure what the hell you call his version of the kkk turbo, but it works! I am very happy with it. My experience with his customer service was not all that great. He did help me with a few problems, but I also suffer from very rich chips. He's a good guy.
Thanks for sticking up for David. I think he deserves it.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

400hp944, David is a good guy. If he would get together with Russell or Vitesse and some of Speed Force Racing products, he'd be a hell of a builder with the latest stuff.

I think his customer service is on par with what is expected to be the norm. It's just that there are other vendors within our community who go way above and beyond for us in the 944 community. Me personally, he's been way above and beyond but I have heard not the same for everyone.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
George D
Drifting

I've known Rains for over 15 years. I tried to get him to utilize other vendors parts. One very good chip maker was willing to make chips with the Powerhaus name on it, along with other programming parts that would go with more advanced Motronic car needs. This never materialized. I've sent David dyno charts of his stuff on my car combined with mods from other vendors. He agreed, that my charts were some of the best he has seen.

David and I are friends and we talk on the phone. He is a talented motor builder, and when doing business with him, he does take care of you. We have spend HOURS under my cars installing stuff over the years. He is a stand up guy.

The best running 951 I ever had had one of his turbos, head, and exhaust. I used another vendors chips and piggyback. That car had ZERO lag. I really mean almost none, but this powerband is what I'm attempting to recreate with my 3.0 project, but with 200 more wheel hp at the same boost levels with similar tq readings at 3K.

David's motors have hundreds of thousand miles on them. Track and street. He does things old school, but this is much better than no school.

MERRY XMAS! My 6 year old son just beat me on Grand Tourismo rally racing. Just stopped in the bar area to get a cold one and posted here.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the K27/6 turbo from Powerhaus. I loved it. That was back in the day when George D and I battled on the dyno :-)

Ahhh.... the good ol' days eh?

TonyG

PS> Did you hook up with the guy I PM'ed you about George?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

I hope to retain the reliability of my motor David built me with the bolt ons I mentioned here before. Bottom line, he's a hell of a builder.

Quick Reply: What do you think of Powerhaus Kits???