944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help me diagnose a new coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007 | 08:10 AM
dnwong
Pro

Default Help me diagnose a new coolant leak.

Since the weather started getting cold, I have not driven my 86 turbo much. Just been starting it and letting it sit in the garage running. Last night I took it out for a spin and I noticed two coolant patches on the garage floor.

One on the passengers side near the coolant tank. Fairly large puddle about 8" diameter.

The second much smaller closer to the passenger side.

Uptill now, I have never had any evidence of coolant leaks.

So, before I dig into this. I wanted to get some ideas as to what to look for. Love hear folks chime in.

thanks.
Old 12-09-2007 | 12:25 PM
t34418l31
Instructor

do you mean drivers side near the coolant leak? i was leaking in the same area and it turned out to be the turbo waterpump. theres an o-ring in there that was completely flattened out and wasnt sealing. a quick trip to the hardware store and at 15 cent o-ring was all it took. once you pull the waterpump off the bracket its only 4 screws so it's real easy to replace.

to make sure it is in fact the turbo waterpump start the car cold and let it run for a little but not so it warms up and then turn it off. the turbo waterpump should run for 30 seconds upon shutdown and you'll see coolant dripping near the drivers side tire.

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose a new coolant leak.