Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil pick up tube failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Let's get this discussion started again.
Get rid of it altogether.

Cup plug or thread seal the aluminum bore in the girdle that the pickup tube seats in.

Drill and tap the pan at a low side location and epoxy mesh screen inside.

Run external stainless braided hose alongside right side of engine block.

Turn up towards oil pump and attach to pump suction side externally with 90 deg. fitting.

T
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how mine looks. It was done by Redbone Garage in Orlando, and I was told it was a design that has proven to last basically forever on many track and street cars, all 944 models/variants, whether using the balance shaft belt or not.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM
951and944S
Race Car

One more issue with the stock tube breaking.

Always tighten the 10mm head bolt last.

If, during disassembly or while tube gets moved around from place to place around your bench, part's cleaner, whatever, the bracket gets bent even slightly, the two flanges that bolt to the girdle will stress the tube from the get-go.

Also, some assemblies may be picked from spare parts or a different engine and won't necessarily align perfectly. Bolt/torque the flanges with the bracket loose and tighten bracket last.

T
Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Get rid of it altogether.

Cup plug or thread seal the aluminum bore in the girdle that the pickup tube seats in.

Drill and tap the pan at a low side location and epoxy mesh screen inside.

Run external stainless braided hose alongside right side of engine block.

Turn up towards oil pump and attach to pump suction side externally with 90 deg. fitting.

T

might work, but I think I'll pass
Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drift a 944
This is how mine looks. It was done by Redbone Garage in Orlando, and I was told it was a design that has proven to last basically forever on many track and street cars, all 944 models/variants, whether using the balance shaft belt or not.

Thanks for sharing, that looks like an interesting alternative.
Starting with a new pickup like Pete suggests is a very good idea but since the design itself is a source of failure's an additional brace or gusset is an extra insurance.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally I was going to buy a new one and have the new one reinforced... However I was later convinced that this design was strong enough to be able to just reuse the current one. I guess you could say that I invested my trust in this design...!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 AM
savvas944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pick up tubes

plus one for dry sumping.

Completed 24 hrs endurance race, open the sump , pick up tube hanging by a thread and virually no bearings or shells in no 2 conrod.Suprisingly oil pressure
was at 4 bar ,during racing.

sump was full of copper metal bits.

Any track car over 350 hp should have a dry sump ,or at least to have a beefier oil tube reinforced by TIG welding and added plate at the base where is mounted on the block basically where the cracks happen and stronger bolts.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

The reinforced tubes that I have had done by a local p-car shop are similar to the photo posted by Elliot. Except the additional band/connecting tab is tig-welded over top of the existing tab (reinforcing it) instead of a separate attachment point. The base connection where the tube is brazed/tacked to the mounting base is also tig-welded all the way around.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

951and944S I'd love to see some photos of a car with this external setup installed.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dave951
951and944S I'd love to see some photos of a car with this external setup installed.
I'm working on one now and taking pictures along the way.

You can add me to your friend's list or mark this thread and PM me and I'll send you some pics as I progress.

Unless you are ok with not running belt cover on the street, I'd categorize this as a track only modification because you need to access the oil pump housing right next to the crankshaft timing belt drive pulley.

I guess you could modify the plastic belt cover accordingly though and retain those if you chose to.

There's not much clearance between the oil pump housing and the back of the balance belt pulley but I'm working out the correct fitting now.

On my personal car, I machined off all the teeth on the balance shaft drive pulley at the crankshaft and use that for a 60/2 toothed wheel for crank trigger so I have more clearance on that car.

I'm contemplating on just machining away all of this same sprocket except enough material to use the pulley as a spacer to clear room on this other project but I'm trying to make it work with balance pulley in place as stock for anybody who wants to run balance shafts.

T
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Got some pics from Kevin Johnsson at Crank-scrapers.com.
Very nice little bracket that reinforces the pickup at the location were it always seems to break.

Quick Reply: Oil pick up tube failure