new turbo <cower>?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new turbo <cower>?

hi all,

after my recent turbo mishap i'm looking to get something locally (ie in oz) that will have fairly nice spool-up while retaining decent top-end power. i'm only planning on running 15-18 psi of boost - this is a street car with a stock 2.5, and it has to run on pump-fuel. some track work *may* be a possibility in the future but it will be primarily a street car for the foreseeable future. it's an 89 but i gather that's not really significant. i won't be doing the install myself, a shop will be doing that (and sourcing the turbo). they've told me to tell them what i want and they'll talk to their suppliers about getting it.

for ease of servicing etc apparently i should go with a garrett of some description - i gather the two options are the T-series, or the GT-series, with the T series being almost bolt-on and the GT needing a bit of modification to work. question: how 'bolt-on' is the T-series, and how much modification are we talking for the GT, and is it worth it? if it's just a question of getting an adapter for the turbo mount then i can probably swing that. holset might be another option but there seems to be little info about them on 951s.

also (and here i will reveal my newbieness), i have no idea what specs to go for. i've read a couple of threads and came across:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=138

what kind of power level is that going to produce at 15-18 psi (ball-park)? spool-up seems pretty good. is this a good option for a 2.5? i might try and source a 0.63 a/r kkk replica turbine housing for ease of install - is that going to make much difference?

i have no idea about these things...be kind!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

What about a k27?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What about a k27?
Yes I was wondering how that compares to a 27/6 which bolts up easily. Is it really worth all the extra effort for what seems to be not much gain over stock?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A TO4E 50 or 57 trim compressor wheel in a 0.6 A/R compressor housing with 3" inlet, standard journal bearing center section w/ 360 degree thrust bearing, and clone KKK#8 turbine housing with Stage 3 turbine wheel is a proven setup on these cars. They will pretty reliably make around 310 rwhp at 1 bar, and around 325+ rwhp at 18psi. While the hybrid TO4E turbos have now been replaced by more modern (and expensive) GT series setups w/ fancy anti-surge covers and ball bearings, they aren't going to flow a lot more air at 15 - 18psi. And they're a heck of a lot more modern than a K27/8.

They are "fairly" bolt-on propositions. I previously had one of the above setups, and needed to do a bit of grinding on the side of the motor mount near the oil drain flange so that the compressor cover would fit, had to grind one of the compressor cover bolts to clear this same area, had to grind a bit off the top of the compressor cover and underside of the throttle body. Very easy fit compared to the full Garrett ball bearing turbo I'm running now, which utilizes a larger T3 turbine housing with rectangular inlet.

I'm not sure what your bad experiences were, but there are shops like Pauer that will supply something very similar to the above to you, or Vitesse that'll sell what is surely a superior and even more efficient setup than the above.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

have a good turbo shop fit a gt3076 in a large kkk hotside you will have the ultimate bolt in turbo
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
have a good turbo shop fit a gt3076 in a large kkk hotside you will have the ultimate bolt in turbo
Search th archives for installing a GT series Garrett, the hot side is not the main issue.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

no I'm staying here in dream land
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

well i had a turbo failure that couldn't be definitively blamed on either the car, the install or the turbo, which i sourced independently from the states - it was just one of those things which happens. there were a number of possible causes for the failure, so as the owner of the car i end up wearing the bill, more or less .

i'm looking to get the shop to source the new turbo so that i don't get stuck in the middle again, and they are probably going to want to do it locally. it also means that *if* there are further problems, the turbo can be looked after locally instead of having to go back to the states, which can add up quite quickly - shipping is in the region of about 250-300 each way, and there's a lot of customs paperwork involved. so yeah, it didn't have a 'bad' experience per se, but i'm wanting to minimise future hassles if something does go wrong.

ian, i assume that your current setup is superior to any of the bolt-on propositions on the market - do you feel it is worth the extra fitment issues?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

what about a 3071R? or is that a bit undersized for the 951?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Ian,

Whoever is quoting you $200-300 to ship Turbos is off thier rocker!
Speak to Turbo Technics in Northampton and find out who they recommend.
They used to be the main company for Turbos but now they are strictly development. however they sell turbos out to suppliers and have a good knowledge of who can supply what.
I use a Turbonetics 60:1 HIFI and have found the turbo great but sadly Turbonetics are less than helpful themselves. I tried to get a reseal kit recently and they seemed uninterested in anything other than me returning the turbo out to them for rebuild. i have since found a company who are doing a rebuild for me locally.
Just noticed you said local in OZ are you now in Australia as your avatar sig says you are in London
If you are in Aus I am sure Patrick and the boys can see you right!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

CGC is the best turbo vendor in Australia they supply many other vendors and all all my stupid questions
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
CGC is the best turbo vendor in Australia they supply many other vendors and all all my stupid questions
Surely you mean gcg?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

heh heh yeah i should be more clear. the car is in australia, i am in london. makes things doubly awkward.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

hmm gcg are recommending a GT35R based turbo with a 0.81 A/R housing based on the fact that it's 2.5L - isn't that a little big?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

damn GCG and sadly i agree it is a bit big unless its a real hottie I'm kind of thinking that they are saying it due to profit as the gt35 outnumbers the gt30 5to 1 gt35 has many OEM applications.
So a gt 35 is can be had a shade cheaper in most parts a gt 30 is more of a after market hot up turbo so there are less made .
I think you do have more compressor options on a gt 35 as you can fit older T04 ones
and what about gt 3267 or gt3271
genrally the gt32's and gt35s are plain bearing and the gt30's are ball bearing so they have sujjested the gt35 somthing as it will be plain bearing resonable price and they probably have it on hand the gt32 is the next on down is plain bearing so should be similar price .

Quick Reply: new turbo <cower>?