Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Inspect MLS Headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

""Yes - the mls WLL CAUSE 2.5 LTER CYLNDER WALL BREAKAGE UNDER HGH POWER WTH DETONATION.
Do NOT listen to any speculator/armchair warrior who tells you dfferently.""

I love to know how a Head gasket causes Liner failure??

Do you mean the detonation is the real cause here, and the MLS gives such good sealing, whereas the Old style would give up before Liner damage?

Fix the detonation problem and get the best parts you can.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

"Besides the cylinder wall failure.. How do you know you were getting detonation? Plugs, tear-down inspection, or/and do you monitor the KLR output? That way we can avoid duplicating running into the same issue."

Ask Dave at CEP. He has the knock display that shows when the engine hears something other than mechanical noise. At least you know something is happening. You still have to assune the engine is detonating, as all you can do is set the engines noise threshold. Above this the knock sensor lets you know. This is all the factory system does as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean the detonation is the real cause here, and the MLS gives such good sealing, whereas the Old style would give up before Liner damage?

Of course that is what I mean.

Fix the detonation problem and get the best parts you can.[/QUOTE]

Easier said than done when you dealing with high power outputs on these engines.

"Besides the cylinder wall failure.. How do you know you were getting detonation? Plugs, tear-down inspection, or/and do you monitor the KLR output? That way we can avoid duplicating running into the same issue."

I monitor EVERYTHING.

Let me try to sum up the FACTS again here guys.
The MLS is so tough, that under detonation and high power loads, it WILL cause destruction on the 2.5 cylinder wall liner.
I have proven this SEVERAL times.
No amount of SAE paper reading or keyboard button pushing will alter this fact.
It IS still possible to blow the MLS instead of the liner, HOWEVER the chances are MUCH more slim.
The stock style gaskets have NEVER, in my experience (which is vast, I don't mind telling you) blown the liners - they always go before the liner under detonation.

The bottom line is - if you want to use one wth hgh cylnder pressure, make sure you make zero detonation your goal.

Last edited by special tool; 10-31-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

What would happen if someone got so drunk they fell asleep unconscious with their head on the keyboard holding most of the keys down for like hours, would this possibly alter this fact??
lol
Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

No really, so obviously we use perfect tune as our bottom line and then a metal h/g can be advantageous and able to withstand higher than normal boost, but if we err in our tuning, then the stock h/g is a safety valve?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What would happen if someone got so drunk they fell asleep unconscious with their head on the keyboard holding most of the keys down for like hours, would this possibly alter this fact??
lol
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 AM
special tool
Banned

No really, so obviously we use perfect tune as our bottom line and then a metal h/g can be advantageous and able to withstand higher than normal boost, but if we err in our tuning, then the stock h/g is a safety valve?
Yes that is the way it is.
However, the MLS will last longer in a lower power application.

Also - I would never use anything but the mls in my engine.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

lol
No, but he would eventually type out the complete works of Shakespear...
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like striving for mediocrity….
And I wouldn’t rely on the stock type head gasket as a safety ‘fuse’, detonation will trash lots of other things along the way.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Was that a true story? Don't read into it. ST has no idea whats going on. He just spent 4 hrs shaving his back with a turbocharged gadget called the man groomer, while, Spell checking all my posts.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Tms951
Pro

No, they come with a factory sealant on them that is one time use. Cometics says no, so for 60$ why risk it. Just put on a new one. When I had my head off of the car I put in a new one.

Do you want to reuse it just to find out it didn't seal and then have to replace it anyway? Just not worth the risk. Just do it right, there is no reason to cut corners.

Copper are the only reusable ones.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Fix the detonation and any other problem regardless of the type of H gasket used. As stated, the detonation causes all sorts of other damage. Thinking one can get away with high boost, lean mixtures and advance timing as long as the WF Gasket stays together is just plain ?????

Use a good A/F gauge, accurate MAP gauge and knock sensing gauge. Then look at your plugs. I have stated many times, have sonmething that looks for engine noise. Do not rely upon the factory ECU pulling timing. Although it does, have another source of data. Dave at CEP sell a really good one for $ 150.00. I have had one and it worked great. Saved me many times.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 PM
mutzman951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Think of the HG as a relief valve. Here's a picture of my used relief valve. When I cracked my 2.5L block, the Hg MLS HG blew when the block cracked.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I'm trying so hard to understand the logic here. Help me someone!!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m42racer
I'm trying so hard to understand the logic here. Help me someone!!
LOL, doesn't it feel like you just took a full bottle of crazy pills?

Quick Reply: Inspect MLS Headgasket