Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

You can pass CA smog with 72# injectors!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BB, just paint it flat black with high temp ceramic paint and you're all set.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzi
I thought the samething I was trying to figure out a way to paint it or have it re-anodized black.-BB
I just picked up a used one with some horrible faded anodizing. It's going to the powdercoater next week with some other parts.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
It's really a shame the government feels the need to tell us what we can and can't do to our own possesions. I am all for a better enviroment and can understand smog testing. What I don't get is why some states are trying to prevent people from doing anything fun to thier cars! They are trying to slowly kill off all the car enthusiast. Really what freakin difference does it make what you do to your car as long as it's higway safe and passes with acceptable emission numbers? Heck a perfectly tuned 951 should have lower emissions then many of the doemestic cars had brand new in 1986-1989.
One of the main ideas behind environmental concerns is to force people end up using their "older" cars by buying new cars to support the car industry, considering the fact most "older" cars (read 80s stuff) are both easier to maintain and cheaper to run than the insufferable crap cars manufacturers nowadays come up with and that can be maintained only through established dealerships.

I think a lot of us guys in Europe (well, at least in France and Germany) are concerned with the "bling" aspect of some of the upgrades available in the US for our cars as little to no modification duly homologated for our markets are legal and, more to the point, make engine bays look way over the top.
I recall reading about a German whose 944 S2 was refused by the TÜV (German inspection) for the reason he had fitted M030 to his car and it did not come with M030 from the factory. Bit of an extreme scenario, but you get the idea.

The tuners that will have the brightest future are those who will be able to supply significant upgrades that are visually impossible to spot.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You're NO passes but it still seems high. How old is your O2 sensor? If you fail next time, look at that first. Congrats on passing. CA emissions testing is just like the people that live in that certain neighborhood of San Francisco...
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

I took a look at my O2 sensor when I was putting in the new turbo. It looked old to me but still workable. Apparently that was the case. I'll definitely be replacing it before I have to go in again in two years.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Brent,

Congrats. Mine is due in a few months. You're really turning your car into a monster. Have you dynoed yet?

Buckaroo that engine bay is looking good. Big difference since I last saw it a few years ago. I think it was during dynoday at Devek.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:30 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
So I am now confused. Some CA people go so far as to install a stealth MAF because any non-OEM part will cause a fail. And you go with full on tons of aftermarket stuff including huge turbo, and you pass?

Is it only certainly counties that have visual vs test or what?
Sometimes it's a hit and miss when you have a cone filter and hard pipes. Some let it go and some won't. In Brent's case everything he's done is hidden and not easily visible. A friend of mine had the same BOV and was flagged before he even started the test.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thom
One of the main ideas behind environmental concerns is to force people end up using their "older" cars by buying new cars to support the car industry, considering the fact most "older" cars (read 80s stuff) are both easier to maintain and cheaper to run than the insufferable crap cars manufacturers nowadays come up with and that can be maintained only through established dealerships.

I think a lot of us guys in Europe (well, at least in France and Germany) are concerned with the "bling" aspect of some of the upgrades available in the US for our cars as little to no modification duly homologated for our markets are legal and, more to the point, make engine bays look way over the top.
I recall reading about a German whose 944 S2 was refused by the TÜV (German inspection) for the reason he had fitted M030 to his car and it did not come with M030 from the factory. Bit of an extreme scenario, but you get the idea.

The tuners that will have the brightest future are those who will be able to supply significant upgrades that are visually impossible to spot.
That too...which still upsets me. I will use my old car until I am done with it, not when the government says it's too old. Thank god I live in Detroit which still has some respect for auto history and no testing whatsoever for vehicle registration.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait so I'm confused myself -- CA (and other states, apparently) has visual inspections to see if you've got aftermarket upgrades? And if you do, then do you automatically fail? Sounds like a heinous breach of freedom of expression to me. I must be misunderstanding something.

Oh and BTW, nice job w/ the pass!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

Thanks guys. Cas951, I have yet to make a dyno run but hope to soon when I get the chance. Painting the BOV flat black is what you need to do to get it to pass (or just switch in your stock one if it's not too broken).

Visual inspections here in CA really depend on the technician doing the emissions inspection. Some seem to just want to find something to fail and others just click right through the state computer program when it asks them to check various things. I found a good guy at getting things passed (took one of my other cars here before the 951) so I'll continue going here.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
-- CA (and other states, apparently) has visual inspections to see if you've got aftermarket upgrades? And if you do, then do you automatically fail?
Yup, it depends which city/county you live in, some are stricter than others (meaning that by law some will test your car in a more stringent manner, since they have more of a "smog issue").

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Sounds like a heinous breach of freedom of expression to me.
To say the least! Having been a car guy most of my life and having lived in urbanized areas that required some sort of state inspection I have to say that it sks!
How would you feel about getting flunked for having such things as traction bars, non-factory hood scoops (tho it didn't interfere with vision), too many stickers on one of your quarter windows (not even smog related) etc, etc, etc ? I remember many sleepless nights prior to inspection dates during those years. Also depending where you live some states require you to re-test at the same station that originally failed you. So if you rubbed somebody the wrong way at that station......

This is such a topic for me that I don't even want to get started, all I can say is that it's great for me now as this area doesn't require any type of annual inspection but I might have to relocate in the near future

And sorry to go off on a rant Brent, congrats on you pass
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by 951Boost
Yup, it depends which city/county you live in, some are stricter than others (meaning that by law some will test your car in a more stringent manner, since they have more of a "smog issue").

To say the least! Having been a car guy most of my life and having lived in urbanized areas that required some sort of state inspection I have to say that it sks!
How would you feel about getting flunked for having such things as traction bars, non-factory hood scoops (tho it didn't interfere with vision), too many stickers on one of your quarter windows (not even smog related) etc, etc, etc ? I remember many sleepless nights prior to inspection dates during those years. Also depending where you live some states require you to re-test at the same station that originally failed you. So if you rubbed somebody the wrong way at that station......

This is such a topic for me that I don't even want to get started, all I can say is that it's great for me now as this area doesn't require any type of annual inspection but I might have to relocate in the near future

And sorry to go off on a rant Brent, congrats on you pass
This is exactly why I have such issues with this type of "control". Even when I go on rants about this topic I still have to bite my tongue, and I don't even live in an area that has any type of inspections....yet. I was worried this was one of the many stupid ideas Granholm was going to bring to MI but turns out she's too busy getting every state office shutdown instead.

Quick Reply: You can pass CA smog with 72# injectors!