Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Frozen Caliper frozen? 88 turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:17 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Frozen Caliper frozen? 88 turbo S

While changing front brake pads (first time on this car) the driverside inner pistons will not go in, even with extreme pressure and brake fluid drained?

Does this mean calipers bad?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep. Take it to a reputable mechanic and see if it can be rebuilt. You may have over-extended the piston if the pads got really thin and cocked the piston in the bore.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Nein-Five-won
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried turning the piston like a screw?. If im not mistaken I believe the pistons extend by turning. That might make it go back in.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I do...

First, is it both inside pistons?
I would refill the brake fluid and flush that caliper. Then clamp the 2 outside pistons to the caliper and step on the brakes. Usually this results in a flying piston+Brake fluid. So have something to catch it..(If piston was just over extended no need to get a brake hone) Then clean the bore with a brake hone (slightly very very slightly) Clean up the piston and stick it back in and clamp it (useing a C clamp) to the caliper. Then flush and step on the brakes again and your remaining piston will fly out. Clean caliper and use a brake hone again very slightly. Then pull the caliper off and start cleaning and making sure the corrosion is removed. Then reinstall and enjoy..

Remember a brake system will put ENORMUS pressure onto the pistons so when you clamp make sure its VERY secure. Also be very slow in pressing down the brake pedal and usually having someone watching the caliper is a big help (doing this on single piston calipers is 10000x easier)
Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein-Five-won
Have you tried turning the piston like a screw?. If im not mistaken I believe the pistons extend by turning. That might make it go back in.
That's a procedure for rear brakes on cars that do not have the super-secret parking brake like ours. They have a trick piston so a mechanical parking brake has something to push against.

-Joel.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Nein-Five-won
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
That's a procedure for rear brakes on cars that do not have the super-secret parking brake like ours. They have a trick piston so a mechanical parking brake has something to push against.

-Joel.
Aah, thanks for the insight. Ha, super secret parking brake.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info, it was both inner pistons. When I took the old pads off 1 of the 2 was sticking out about 1/8 of an inch the other 3 pistons would retract. So when I stepped on the pedal 2 of 4 came out all the way. Was able to move the outter 2 back in and slide in the pad.

But now the original one is still in that 1/8th position and the other one is all the way out. I have a friend bringing over a pad seperator tool but there is minimal clearance from the rotor maybe 1/4 inch.

I just bought an 88 turbo S parts car and could pull one of the rotors off of it and send the other to be repaired. But it would be easier to fix it on the car. Not shure about the honing do not have the tool.

Originally Posted by Fishey
Here is what I do...

First, is it both inside pistons?
I would refill the brake fluid and flush that caliper. Then clamp the 2 outside pistons to the caliper and step on the brakes. Usually this results in a flying piston+Brake fluid. So have something to catch it..(If piston was just over extended no need to get a brake hone) Then clean the bore with a brake hone (slightly very very slightly) Clean up the piston and stick it back in and clamp it (useing a C clamp) to the caliper. Then flush and step on the brakes again and your remaining piston will fly out. Clean caliper and use a brake hone again very slightly. Then pull the caliper off and start cleaning and making sure the corrosion is removed. Then reinstall and enjoy..

Remember a brake system will put ENORMUS pressure onto the pistons so when you clamp make sure its VERY secure. Also be very slow in pressing down the brake pedal and usually having someone watching the caliper is a big help (doing this on single piston calipers is 10000x easier)

Quick Reply: Frozen Caliper frozen? 88 turbo S