Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hard to engage first gear or reverse, car on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
does it feel like you cannot get the shifter far enough over to the right to grab reverse?
No, that's not the problem, It's getting it fully engaged that is the problem.

Originally Posted by JohnEVolution
+1

when my hydraulics were leaking, it was very easy to spot; I would check both the driver's floorboard and the starter.
You mean that the hydraulic fluid will leak onto the driver side floorboard? I certainly don't see any kind of leaking inside the car.

Originally Posted by aben8057
Danny,

I had the same issue not too long ago. When the car was off, it would engage into all the gears perfectly. As soon as I turned it on, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.. I would have issue. . .[/B]
See, in my case, whether the car is on or off makes no difference, it is difficult either way.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Just an update on this -- shortly after my last post, I had to take the car in for unrelated work (leaking cam tower gasket). The guy who pulled the car in over at Zimm's noticed the clutch issue and asked me about it. However, when I got the car back a few days later, the clutch was working fine. They told me they didn't work on the clutch at all though.. I was a little confused why it was working fine now, and figured the problem would eventually return... I drive the car roughly 150 - 200 miles per week.

Anyway, since then, it has been working fine, until a couple of days ago, when it just about refused to let me shift into gear with the engine running. I could turn off the car, and it would go into gear just fine with the clutch in. This is different than what was going on before, where I couldn't get it into gear if the car was on or off. Also, if I start the car while in gear, let's say first gear and my foot on the brake and clutch, it wants to move forward as if I am letting off the clutch, even though I have the clutch all the way to the floor.

So, it seems like even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, it is not fully engaged and that is what is making it hard to shift gears, and is why the car wants to move forward when I am at a stop, with the car running and in first gear, but not giving it any gas.

??
Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by danny951
So, it seems like even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, it is not fully engaged and that is what is making it hard to shift gears, and is why the car wants to move forward when I am at a stop, with the car running and in first gear, but not giving it any gas.

??
I have EXACTLY this problem. I have bled it, I have changed the gear oil, nada. I have decided my problem must be this (found on the 993 board):

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM
JE_951
Pro

when the car is in gear, can you move the shift **** side to side?

If you can, then take off the boot/rubber surround and see if the clip is still holding the shaft to the shift lever. IF it isnt, then replace. However I had this same problem and I realized it was the shift rod that had actualy files itself down on the post that the shaft fits over. this made shifting kind of sloppy and VERY hard to get into 1st and reverse or impossible.

For everyone who has a sloppy shift feel, replace the gear shift lever, best repair I ever did. part number: 477 711 205 D
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
DasBOOST
Advanced

yea mine hates reverse too. i just put it back in neutral and let the clutch out then try it again. i usallly have to talk to my transmission dirty to get it to go in gear. haha

footnote....if i shift into 2nd kinda quick, it wont catch. its in the 2nd gear position but im not going anywhere. so i put it in slow and it works.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by danny951
Just an update on this -- shortly after my last post, I had to take the car in for unrelated work (leaking cam tower gasket). The guy who pulled the car in over at Zimm's noticed the clutch issue and asked me about it. However, when I got the car back a few days later, the clutch was working fine. They told me they didn't work on the clutch at all though.. I was a little confused why it was working fine now, and figured the problem would eventually return... I drive the car roughly 150 - 200 miles per week.

Anyway, since then, it has been working fine, until a couple of days ago, when it just about refused to let me shift into gear with the engine running. I could turn off the car, and it would go into gear just fine with the clutch in. This is different than what was going on before, where I couldn't get it into gear if the car was on or off. Also, if I start the car while in gear, let's say first gear and my foot on the brake and clutch, it wants to move forward as if I am letting off the clutch, even though I have the clutch all the way to the floor.

??
Danny, if you need me, just remember you can always count with lart
Old 02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

It could also be the linkage at the transmission. Check to see if all the bolts are tight.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Danny..just an update...after bleeding the hydraulics every other week, it came down to needing a new clutch. So my 951 is currently needing about 3 hours of work and she is all done. The springs in the center fell apart causing the issue.

Last edited by aben8057; 02-10-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

that was the symptom when my clutch went (one of the little springs broke). could get into gear with the engine off, very difficult with the engine on. if i was on a hill and could roll the car slowly in the right direction then it would slip into gear very easily.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If broken springs are causing this, then how can I have the same problem on the 968 and an unsprung clutch? I don't think it's springs, I think the system just needs to be disassembled, all the bearings lubed and all the splines cleaned with a wire brush. But who knows... only one way to find out - open her up and take a looksee.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im gonna go out on a limb here, but

Is your shift rod worn out?

My cabriolet shifted into every gear perfectly until I removed my shifter and gave it to my girlfriend because her shifter was worn.

When I put her shifter into my car, going into 1ist is almost impossible with reverse being a strong pain in the *** too.

All because her shifter is worn as hell!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't know about the OP but my stick is hard. I mean my shifter is firm.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I don't know about the OP but my stick is hard. I mean my shifter is firm.
On that note....

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I have EXACTLY this problem. I have bled it, I have changed the gear oil, nada. I have decided my problem must be this (found on the 993 board):

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch
Damnit Arash, have you not been keeping your shaft clean again? A corroded shaft is not good.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the little bolt on the shifter linkage on top of the transmission. Once removed it pretty much requires a new one with the green stuff on it to keep it tight.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
On that note....

Damnit Arash, have you not been keeping your shaft clean again? A corroded shaft is not good.
Well I was apprehensive about scrubbing it with a wire brush. But I guess that's one way to bleed it.

Quick Reply: Hard to engage first gear or reverse, car on or off?