Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Radio clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Radio clicking noise

I just installed a very nice Alpine head unit in my '86 951, and electrical noise is coming through the speakers, but only when I have the radio on, not when playing a CD. I disconnected the antenna power line, and (oddly enough) I seem to be getting the same reception, and still get the electrical noise. The noise is sort of like clicking, and it IS related to engine speed.

Would this be a ground issue? If so, why wouldn't it happen when playing a CD?

Could it be a power issue? Right now, my 12 V constant is hooked up to the harness (with the Alpine inline fuse block). Pehaps I should try hooking it straight to the battery... would that make a difference with respect to noise?

Please help, so I can get this thing back together and take a drive today (it's beautiful out). Thanks!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:35 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Ok, I tried hooking up the power directly to the battery, and I'm still getting the noise. Also tried using one of the other brown wires for ground, and that didn't help either.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:38 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Anyone ever had this problem? Could it be that my engine is creating more electrical noise than normal? Maybe I should just put it back together and stick to CD's.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it sounds like a grounding issue. Are you sure you followed the wiring diagrams correctly? At any rate, the wires are very bunched together back there. Perhaps there's some interference going on? When I do mine, I try to wrap the wires in bunches with electrical tape. If anything, pull the thing out and try again.

Quick Reply: Radio clicking noise