Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PIcs of my new Windgeflaren / Diffughenser

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIcs of my new Windgeflaren / Diffughenser

Bored on a Saturday night. I had to think of something original for the post title.

Here are some pics of the Finished product.
Attached Images      
Old 10-14-2007, 03:14 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks wicked. Are you going to put some 'closing' pieces under the body to cover everything?

How about painting that wing support black?

Nice trans brace
Old 10-14-2007, 03:36 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by DDP
Looks wicked. Are you going to put some 'closing' pieces under the body to cover everything?

How about painting that wing support black?

Nice trans brace
no closing pieces. It might go from a diffuser into a parachute.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Awesome defuser . pics aren't that good need some with the car up on the hoist
Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Awesome defuser . pics aren't that good need some with the car up on the hoist
I have one before I was finshed installaling. This give you an Idea. What are you looking for? I could take another pic showing you tomorrow.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks interesting. What is it made of and what inspired you to that particular shape? I see that it is still a road car, are you going to keep it on the road or make it into a full on trackrat?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 AM
95ONE
Race Car

It is planned to be mostly a track car. It comes in Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass like the one you see here. It is an expensive Japanese kit for Japaneese cars. I adapted it to the Porsche. It will always be streetable. But 95% will be for the track.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Do you know if it has had any real tests done to see what exactly you gain by using it? What do the originators claim?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:10 AM
DrRon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95ONE
It is planned to be mostly a track car. It comes in Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass like the one you see here. It is an expensive Japanese kit for Japaneese cars. I adapted it to the Porsche. It will always be streetable. But 95% will be for the track.
Nice diffuser - do you plan on managing underbody airflow from the nose-section (build air tunnels that exit into the diffuser)?

I looked at this as well, and there is some (understatement) work involved - flat underbody, steep throat at the front, skirts to encapsulate the airflow at various locations, correct-angled diffuser (we got a few carbon fiber ones from a formula car). Done right, you get downforce with not too much drag (and you can get rid of the wing which has both), but ultimately I decided that all would entail building up a full race car that happens to look like a 944 (like the wonderful monsters in the US, Woody's ex-car, the Kokeln car), rather than turn a 944 into a race car - so why not start with something like a Radical etc. where the aero has been sorted. Anyway looks nice!

www.rtb-motorsport.nl - see the 944 bits, also under the reports. It may be Dutch, but we can still be fast :-)
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrRon
Nice diffuser - do you plan on managing underbody airflow from the nose-section (build air tunnels that exit into the diffuser)?

I looked at this as well, and there is some (understatement) work involved - flat underbody, steep throat at the front, skirts to encapsulate the airflow at various locations, correct-angled diffuser (we got a few carbon fiber ones from a formula car). Done right, you get downforce with not too much drag (and you can get rid of the wing which has both), but ultimately I decided that all would entail building up a full race car that happens to look like a 944 (like the wonderful monsters in the US, Woody's ex-car, the Kokeln car), rather than turn a 944 into a race car - so why not start with something like a Radical etc. where the aero has been sorted. Anyway looks nice!

www.rtb-motorsport.nl - see the 944 bits, also under the reports. It may be Dutch, but we can still be fast :-)
I am interested in reading about your cars Dr Ron, but I can't read Dutch. Hans has been helpful in the past showing some of your and his cars and various parts that are used on them. Very nice looking too.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

95ONE - thanks for the pics, (I asked in the wing thread), that's an interesting design. Do you know the angle of the diffuser ceiling..?
Those outer extremities should pull air from your rear wheel well nicely.

Once ride height is finally settled on, an additional strake could be added to the factory side skirts to form a better "seal" but the 944 body's floor is very flat and undisturbed by unnecessary bulges and crevices compared to other cars, especially with the correct underbody engine cover, turbo only additional aluminum panel and the plastic panels behind the front wheel.

A small lip attached to the boxed unit body frame runners under the car would aid in directing air to the rear as well.

I'm currently working on a custom, scratch built rear diffuser for a track only car, thus my interest when you mentioned it in Guns' wing thread.

I have alot more free room since I have no spare tire hump, notched the bumper up 1 inch and raised my transmission 20mm.

I think it's incorrect to over analyze the effectiveness of a device like this as even as a standalone with no other modifications, the diffuser will, at a minimum, extricate turbulent air from the suspension area, speed up air exit under the car and aid the rear wing whereas a less acute angle of attack can be used, lessening drag for the same amount of downforce.

The 944 chassis, run in factory trim with rake only will create s similar benefit so a diffuser should be a big plus.

Very nice....., thanks for the pics.....

T
Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Once ride height is finally settled on, an additional strake could be added to the factory side skirts to form a better "seal" but the 944 body's floor is very flat and undisturbed by unnecessary bulges and crevices compared to other cars, especially with the correct underbody engine cover, turbo only additional aluminum panel and the plastic panels behind the front wheel.

I think it's incorrect to over analyze the effectiveness of a device like this as even as a standalone with no other modifications, the diffuser will, at a minimum, extricate turbulent air from the suspension area, speed up air exit under the car and aid the rear wing whereas a less acute angle of attack can be used, lessening drag for the same amount of downforce.

The 944 chassis, run in factory trim with rake only will create s similar benefit so a diffuser should be a big plus.

Very nice....., thanks for the pics.....

T
I too have removed the spare tire well and have the GT racing bumper. It helped me give it more angle.

I bought this because a good friend of mine had just put it on his car. We noticed two things right away. Car ran leaner and had more vacuum at higher cruising speeds. Leaner because we programmed his management to run that way for better gas mileage on cruising when you don't have to put your foot down. More vacuum because there was simply alot less drag. - once again, indicating not having to throttle down as much to reach the same speeds. Quite a noticeable aerodynimic difference. I was sold. We didn't do any flat paneling or change any other aerodynamic aspect of the car. I can't wait to get to a track someday
Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
no closing pieces. It might go from a diffuser into a parachute.
I meant an underbody sheet to smooth out the underbody of the car. Not to close off the diffuser. (talking above the diffuser to clean up the underside of the car)
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Let me change up something I said earlier. I said, "expensive" But what I meant by that was for Japaneese cars. its Probably half the price of anything that would be made for "Porsche". And about triple the quality of anything I've seen From GT.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

So where is the "how to" post?

Quick Reply: PIcs of my new Windgeflaren / Diffughenser