Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FOR SALE: Very Nice 944 Turbo Race Car Project - now with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff
I didn't know Bruce had 2 cars that looked alike. That would be cool having them both at the track. The last time he came up to Heartland Park he had the other one with the 962 engine, a new semi rig to pull it with and about 4 Harley's, and his girl friends car. Nice stuff.
You do have me thinking about your chassis. One question for you since I would be using it for a track only car, would it still be legal in PCA? I thought all of the suspension pickup points had to be in stock location or am I wrong?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for a rear wing if you have one.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Jeff,

If you want to sell any of th ebits now I may be interested in the Welstmaster sway bars
PM me if you are interested in selling now

Cheers
Tom
Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by Landjet
Jeff
You do have me thinking about your chassis. One question for you since I would be using it for a track only car, would it still be legal in PCA? I thought all of the suspension pickup points had to be in stock location or am I wrong?
Thanks
I have talked to a number of guys who have built serious 944 Turbo race cars for PCA racing and a few of them have made modifications that are similar to mine and their cars have been legal in the PCA for a number of years. My suspension attachment points are basically in the stock locations and 944 Turbo specific control arms are used. I think the rules are setup to prevent folks from putting Indy car suspensions on their cars or converting a trailing arm setup into a multi-link, etc. The one thing that MAY have to be done is to weld back in the stock rear upper shock mounts. They were removed on my car to give clearance to finish the fab work with the intent to weld them back in when the cage was finished. You don't have to use the shock mounts, they just need to be there to meet the rules. I know of at least one PCA legal car out there that has followed this exact path.

At the end of the day, the biggest reason for raising the suspension attachment points is SAFETY. Lets face it, its a race car and you are going to run it as low as you can. Without raising the suspension attachment points and without fabricating strong rear upper shock mounts these 944 Turbos can become unsafe. Without my mods, the control arms end up being oriented in an "up hill" position which can contribute to ball joint binding and failure. Also, using the stock rear shock mounts that were NOT designed for coilovers raises concerns about their ability to handle the stress. And one other thing, the rear coilovers have to be really short and if not configured properly, you will be hitting the bump stops all the time which creates an unsafe handling condition. In summary, my cage design was built to promote SAFE racing. I think the PCA generally accepts modifications that have the primary intent of increasing safety.

An added benefit, the raised attachment points bring the suspension geometry back to its normal intended range of motion (control arms oriented in a "down hill" fashion) at lowered ride heights. This allows you to be able to setup the suspension the way it was intended to work. Which, again, takes us back to safety. If the suspension does not move through its intended range of motion, this can cause the potential for unsafe handling characteristics.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jeff.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by tommo951
Jeff,

If you want to sell any of the bits now I may be interested in the Welstmaster sway bars
PM me if you are interested in selling now

Cheers
Tom
Tom, thanks for your note. I have received many inquiries (via PM and direct e-mail) on the sway bars and I will work my way through the interested parties one-by-one in the order received. However, to stick to my word in my For Sale posting, I am taking the following path:

Before I sell any of the parts individually, I need to wait approx one week to see what kind of interest I get in my race car chassis. The buyer of the chassis will have the first shot at all of the other parts I have for sale. In other words, if the chassis is not sold by the middle of next week OR if the chassis is sold but the buyer doesn't want certain parts, then those parts will be sold. Does that sound fair? If so, I will be back in touch next week with the status.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

pics??? haha
Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
pics??? haha
check the link on the second line dude.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Hi Jeff - reminder you still owe me PM
Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
I'm looking for a rear wing if you have one.
Skip, unfortunately, I don't have a rear wing to sell.

By the way, please keep up the great work on your ex-Technodyne car!! I am looking forward to seeing the car on the track again.

Best regards,
Jeff
Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Thanks Jeff - next Spring for sure.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Adding a few pics for ease of reference:
Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Three more
Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Jeff - I am interested in your custom removable aluminum covers for firewall to base of windshield area. Where did you get that made? Was it hand formed? Is there a gasket under it to make it water tight? I would like to fabricated on of these myself so any details would be appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow! That car looks to be going in the right direction. I like all the work put into it and I hope you get at least what youre asking for.

-Darwin

Quick Reply: FOR SALE: Very Nice 944 Turbo Race Car Project - now with PICS