Just switched to Valvoline high mileage 10-40 synthetic blend

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 AM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
On miles...
On recommendations for current models...
Your 18-20 year old car does NOT have the specs, clearances, cooling, oil passage design, or technology of the current models. Just think of leaded gasoline. Was an additive put back in to replace lead or were new motors designed and changed to work without lead? So why is it again that you would follow recommendations made for a newer motor?
I'm sure no-one is advocating that, i'm just advocating that Porsches original recommendations for the 944 i.e. 6kmiles or 6 months is perfectly adeqate for all but frequent track hounds. And by using modern synthetic oils you are adding in an extra factor of safety as the cars were originally designed to run on much more inferior oil that what is available today. If you want to replace your oil more frequently then fine, but you are not necessarily getting better protection.

There is alot of misinformation and BS about fully synthetics and the majority of it originates from the early days of synthetic oils where there may have been issues and problems. Time and technology has moved on in the last 20yrs in relation to fully synthetic oils and this hype is no longer valid. I'd struggle to understand why anyone would not use fully synthetic oil on any car - turbo or N/A. I'm not an advocate of using thicker oils to fix oil leaks - if my engine leaks i'll fix the leak.

Mobil 1 is a very good oil, no doubt about it. But there are plenty of much much better oils out there. Mobil 1 is not the only oil that Porsche recommends, in fact it recommends quite a few, it's just the one manufacturer that pays Porsche big bucks to use it on the production line and on services. Thre is an association with Mobil 1 and F1 and i'm continually amazed at the number of poeple who think that Mobil 1 you buy off the shelf is the same stuff they use in F1, but in reality it relates in no way to the stuff they use in F1. Clever marketing.

I only ever use an Ester based fully synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is not an Ester based oil.

Also regarding leaded gasoline. Cars that run off unleaded have ceramic or hardened valve seats so they don't need the lead or a lead replacement additive. For a motor that was built pre-unleaded you can either have the cylinder head modified or you will need to use a lead replacement additive.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sawood12
Also regarding leaded gasoline. Cars that run off unleaded have ceramic or hardened valve seats so they don't need the lead or a lead replacement additive. For a motor that was built pre-unleaded you can either have the cylinder head modified or you will need to use a lead replacement additive.
I know all about leaded gasoline and the effects of unleaded. I was making a point that the EPA forces changes on the automotive industry that require manufactures to change the designs of their motors. And though you may not have heard about similar changes in motor oil, it has been happening.

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/datasheets/81106.php

Quick Reply: Just switched to Valvoline high mileage 10-40 synthetic blend