Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do you know if the idle stabilization valve is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:29 PM
rmoleman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if the idle stabilization valve is bad?

The car (1986 951) was idling very rough so decided to change all the vacuum lines this weekend.

I am in the middle of replacing all the vacuum lines and I find the cycling valve has a broken port.

Now am thinking as long as I have to replace the cycling valve should how do I know the idle stabilization valve (ISV) does not need to be replaced as well.

Is there anyway to test the ISV with the everything disassembled? It would be a real pain to get everything put back together then find out I have to replace the ISV.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:05 PM
rmoleman
Instructor

After some more searches I am now wondering if I should buy a cycling valve or replace it with a manual boost controller? Opinions?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure on the MBC, have not made that mod yet. But on most vehicles, Ive found that if you can shake the Idle control valve/motor, and it rattles, it's normaly bad.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Stiletto
Rennlist Member

If you want a replacement CV, I've got one I just pulled off my '86. If $40 shipped sounds fair, PM me if you decide to go that route.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rmoleman
Now am thinking as long as I have to replace the cycling valve should how do I know the idle stabilization valve (ISV) does not need to be replaced as well.
Kind of difficult to check the ISV itself for leaks while installed.

One thing you can do is try bypassing at the engine diagnostic test socket it to see if the idle changes for the better. You can do this with a pair of needle nosed pliers, inserting one tip in each of the 2 ports that must be bridged for the bypass to occur (search for "setting the idle").

In my case, when I pulled it off the car, I tested it by capping one port with my thumb and blowing through the other only to find that it leaked air.

Probably could've tried sealing it with RTV as it was expensive to replace, but with the new unit the idle is back to normal and I can forget about it for another 15 years.

Quick Reply: How do you know if the idle stabilization valve is bad?