Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which is cheaper: glass reseat or lexan DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Which is cheaper: glass reseat or lexan DIY?

I have an 86 951 dedicated track car, and the glass in the hatch is coming loose. Is it cheaper to have the glass removed and reseated or to replace it with lexan? For the glass, I would get an auto glass shop to do it. For the lexan replacement, I'm thinking that I would get the lexan window without the frame, remove the glass, and install the lexan myself. I'm more interested in the cost right now than the weight savings of the lexan.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:28 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gone through the research and it seems like you have a small chance of not breaking that glass in attempting to reseat it...plus as mine...a dedicated track car benefits quite a bit from the wieght reduction cause it also lowers the CG and rear weight.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheapest answer is probably to buy a better used hatch if you can find one locally. It is pretty tough to find a professional glass guy who will do the reseal for you, which might make the answer easier.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I paid a local Porsche mechanic, not my normal mechanic, who had an auto-glass place reseal my hatch.

Then I bought a used one and had my real mechanic (who doesn't do reseals-guess i know why now) install it, because the repaired one fell apart within a week.

My experience is that my reseal was a complete and total waste of money.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
x944turbo
Intermediate

There is something thing you can try when removing the glass without breaking it. Not sure if it would work but i saw it on a show once.

Stick a piece of wire through the glue inbetween the frame and the glass. Use some sort of stick or handle for each end of the wire and with both hands on each side of the wire you can cut through the glue. Use a back and forth motion to cut the glue untill you go all the way around the frame.

This technique will prevent you from tring to pry the frame off the glass which could cause the glass to break
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by x944turbo
There is something thing you can try when removing the glass without breaking it. Not sure if it would work but i saw it on a show once.

Stick a piece of wire through the glue inbetween the frame and the glass. Use some sort of stick or handle for each end of the wire and with both hands on each side of the wire you can cut through the glue. Use a back and forth motion to cut the glue untill you go all the way around the frame.

This technique will prevent you from tring to pry the frame off the glass which could cause the glass to break
Been there done that. Theres some sort of tab every six inches From the Frame that just won't let you pass with that wire. I hired a professional that gave up after getting through a couple of them. He said it wasn't worth it, and at that point the fee was going to skyrocket. Break it out and put in Lexan.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:20 AM
x944turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Been there done that. Theres some sort of tab every six inches From the Frame that just won't let you pass with that wire. I hired a professional that gave up after getting through a couple of them. He said it wasn't worth it, and at that point the fee was going to skyrocket. Break it out and put in Lexan.
Do you know if this goes for the front windshield as well. My rubber molding has just been pulled out around the corners and i was thinking using the wire trick to replace myself.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 AM
95ONE
Race Car

no. Front windshield is much easier.

Quick Reply: Which is cheaper: glass reseat or lexan DIY?