Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2bridges Bonneville results

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2bridges Bonneville results - 10/25 Video added :)

Last week was the USFRA World of Speed.
My 951 (Freckles) was an entry in the 150 club class.
What a total blast. Don't know if I have ever had that much fun..... EVER!

My gums are sunburned from smiling so much. My plan was to blast 160mph in full street trim. As it turned out - We struggled had to pull out every trick in the book, our Fastest run was 156.99580 out the back door!!! OH HELL YEAH!!!

Freckles Made 9 runs in total.
1st run: 130MPH - required 125mph initial run. WOW! Salt is very different car wanders all over the track with the chubby 225 and 245 tires. What a handful. "Fastest" 130 I have ever driven in my life.
2nd run: 145 - backed it off at the 1 mile as 130 approached - don't want to go that fast on the salt longer than needed, still getting comfortable on salt. Car wanders everywhere but pulled strong - felt like lots left
3rd run: 148.79 (150.66 @ 3 mile)
4th run: 148.49 (150.438 @ 3mile)
Car at this altitude will only make 12.5lbs boost in 5th. Lazy after 5600rpm.
Got verbally accosted over the radio for running out the back door (to the 3 mile) - officials not amused and want shutdown after the 2.25 mile. Fine. Opened exhaust, attempted boost increase w EBC, BlowOffValve spring change
5th run: 145.5 - with a light headwind - no change in boost
swapped 1" skinnier tires on all corners and increased tire pressure
6th run: 147.37
It is obvious we need to get aggressive to get this done..... SO
Off with the wipers, outside mirrors, door panels, speakers, passenger seat, hatch carpet, taped entire nose but four 1"X1" holes for all radiator and intercooler, tape the base of windshield to hood and all front clip and hatch seems.
7th run: 152***** Hugged the timing slip lady - what a sweetheart
8th run: - 149.827 FAWK!!!!! Hit with huge side wind and rough track at 2mile. Car all over the place..... Scrubbed off a ton of speed trying to keep it pointed the right way. Missed it by less than 0.2 MPH - mega bummed. Packed up for the day hoping the cool morning air will make the difference.
All of a sudden the winds shift and we now have a nice tail wind and under 10 minutes before staging lanes close. Scampered to staging lanes just in time to get into gear.
9th run: - 154.601***** at 2.25 mile (156.99580 at 3mile)
Tail wind, but also side wind. Car went all over at the 2mile - screw it - let it go wherever it wanted as long as it did not slow down! A test of courage and sheer will. Ran it out the back door as I knew this one was fast enough and would be last run for freckles. At timing shack I bail out of the car as fast as I can pulling hood tape to rescue the borderline overheating engine. One official runs over to lend a hand and we got it untaped and cooled down before any damage.

I did capture in car video for three runs..... have not yet viewed

Made many new friends and received lots of encouragement and support. Even had a few real fans. How fun to be part of such an event.

The black Morris Minor chewed a front tire in route to the event. Only replacements available were "H"rated tires making him only eligible to run the 130 club. He was bummed, but had hands full keeping the car pointed the right way.

Another 951 (88 turboS) out of Salt lake showed up an three people made the 150 club in that car.
Attached Images     

Last edited by 2bridges; 10-25-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Wow!! thats awsome! Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:48 AM
George D
Drifting

I want to do this! Please send information. Looks like a blast!

George
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Can't wait to see the vid.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats AWSOME! Please post the video.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Glad to see someone else has experience this on the 'list. Our event with AKA Rally went fantastic out there, though I was driving an e46 not the 951 (will be there next year with it). Went 138 in that, and 160 in a limited M5. We ran a 3 mile course next to the international course.

About half the cars (ton of people left early).

I made the mistake of wearing my Aviator's and not my rap around oakley's and spent about an hour in the ambulance getting my eyes cooled down by a refrigerated saleen solution... aparently I sunburned my eyes. That sucked.

2bridges, mod list?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's awesome, the pics/scenary looks really amazing!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
George D
Drifting

I up for this next year. I'm in AZ and have NEVER been to the Salt Flats. I'll run what I brung.

George
Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

That's awesome! I have always wanted to do this, maybe some day.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Glad to share. As a fan of vintage salt and land speed racing there is no experience like it in the world. The inovation and freedom of design is like no other racing. Rules/classes are basic guidelines and leaves the builder(s) imagination to the rest.

George -
see USFRA homepage http://www.saltflats.com/index.html Links tward bottom for 130 & 150 specifications, saftety requirements, etc. You will be required to pass tech inspection, and will want to pay close attention to details. If you have specific questions would be happy to tell you what I know.

Mike -
Power mods are mild at this point. fabspeed 3" (no cat), tial 38, max951 15-18psi chipset, AEM truboost EBC, K&N, AOS vented to atmoshphere, LSD trans (w cooler). Key stock items include: Stock grind webcam, K26/6 turbo, stock AFM. Lots of other mods: maintenance, suspension, safety etc. etc.
Sorry to hear about the eyes. That is awfull. I knew you were heading to Bonneville and should have mentioned it. The salt reflects light off the inside of your sunglasses and into your eyes if they do not fit close to your face and wrap around. Some get the worst headaches they have ever experienced for this reason.
What was your experience in handling? How wide were tires? I was very surprised at how much the car floated starting about 115-120mph. I also had to ease into the boost in 3rd and 4th as the tires would spin and send the car sideways.
What did you notice in power difference? elevation is about 4500ft above sea level - my car was noteably weaker, especially on the top in 5th. Car just layed down and got real real lazy.

For anybody intending to run 160+ in future USFRA events:
150 club allows 160 mph max. Faster and you will be disqualified. If you want to go 160+ on the salt you will have to prepare a full class car and meet SCTA safety specifications (full cage, in car driver and under hood fire supression, parachute, etc, etc) Rulebooks available many sources including the USFRA link above.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So how bad is the salt?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

As for the eyes... I should've known better, I ski. Felt like a total dumbass. Bringing a set of heavy tint sky goggles next year to avoid issues (thought I got salt in my eye at one point too while working on a car, overall it wasnt a particularly good day for my health, but I had a blast). Car felt smooth and stable upto the ~138. The M5 had a bit of a shimmy at high speeds due to tram lining on the salt, but nothing all that frightening, just couldnt go anywhere near WOT in under 4500rpm in 3rd. We had a perfect day though, ZERO wind. I had only driven the M5 out west so I didnt realize how down on power it was till we got back east with lower elevation and 93 octane, the e46, shifting into 5th was a waste I couldnt accelerate at all (no joke would not push any further) so I was just topping out 4th and cruising.

Originally Posted by billthe3
So how bad is the salt?
Not bad, let it dry and crack and fall out for a few days, then go to town with a pressure washer to get the rest. Or just drive cross country and it'll mostly all fall out.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by billthe3
So how bad is the salt?
?????? Bad?
The salt was in excellent condition from a historic perspective. Thickness allowed tracks to be run on parts of salt never before run as they were too thin in years past to support racing.

The "save the salt" efforts are apparently working. 450,000 tons pumped on this year as I recall
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Er, the question was in reference to how bad the salt stuck into the cars and whatnot. I had been considering doing it with the aka rally group, but people were saying that the salt gets into every part of the car and really trashes it.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

thats feaking awsome. more pics please

Quick Reply: 2bridges Bonneville results