Don't Use Deeves Rings

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Use Deeves Rings

Some of you may recall my post a few weeks ago about Got Me a Porsha's motor and my concern about bad rings and a tore up bore.

The motor was rebuilt over a year ago and ran like a raped ape out of the box. Over the next few month Kevin started to think the car was slow and I assured him that he was just getting used to the power (his other car makes well over 525 hp). The car started and ran great and didn’t burn a drop of oil. After about six months we decided to do a leak down test and it revealed that his #3 cylinder had a 30% leak down and figured we’d run it that way for a while until we could get it pulled. The car got progressively worse very quickly and developed some overheating issues even though the entire cooling system was new. The boost was poor and spooling really late despite being a 27/6 and there is a small header crack. The car still didn’t burn any oil and the car recently ran flawlessly on a 2000 + mile road trip.

Anyway, last week we pulled the motor and started disassembly. This week Kevin got around to pulling the pan and the piston from the cylinder with bad leak down and it revealed a broken ring (figured that one). Since we have another set of Goetz rings he started pulling all of the pistons and three out of the four compression rings were broken in several places. I’ve seen broken rings before but never 3 out of four. Especially on a car that still ran decently. Before assembly every aspect of the motor was measured including ring gaps, taper, ridge and everything was within spec. The rings were installed properly and everything checked out fine. I’d heard in the past of one other person’s motor being tore up after using Deeves rings so my advice is to pass on the Deeves rings if you ever have to buy a set. The good news is the bores look okay but will need a measurement to be sure.

One thing I did notice is they have the same PN for the NA and turbo rings which is probably the issue. One thing I can’t figure out is the Deeves compression rings have an odd shaped groove in the compression rings that face downward that have completely disappeared after about 6K of use.

We should have him back on the road in a week or two.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well - I hope you didn't use the Chevy piston extractor on them.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked them. Especially with that 3rd "thermal expanding" spring that goes under the oil ring, that does nothing except create friction and drag.
It has to be Mahle or Goetze for my cars....
Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Originally Posted by special tool
lol
Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
Dumbass, that's a piston installer. Chevy pistons tend to come out on thier own.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Dumbass, that's a piston installer. Chevy pistons tend to come out on thier own.

Naw, the Chevy tool uses real iron head, not the wood one...
Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeremy,
Do you think this explain's his cooling issues?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Jeremy,
Do you think this explain's his cooling issues?
We believe so. The water pump, HG, radiator, thermostat, and bearings were all perfect. 3 broken compression rings has to make the motor work a lot harder then it should especially when it's fighting crankcase back pressure.

Quick Reply: Don't Use Deeves Rings