Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A ? about narrow band wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A ? about narrow band wiring

Hi guys, I'm try to wire up a narrow band O2 sensor to get an idea on how my AFR looks after my recent work. I would eventually like to get a wideband gauge but I have this for now. So I cut the green O2 sensor wire (pin 24) a foot or two away from the DME and I discovered two wires inside. Which one do I wire the AFR signal wire to?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Splice onto the one inner conductor, the other is just a ground shield. I connected down closer to the plug, where i didn't have to mess with the shield...Bruce

PS helpful hint, keep the tap wire somewhere where you can easily cut it after install is complete. Opinion: This is number 1, most worthless mod. ...;/

Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 PM
JE_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hooked a narrow band guage up before my wideband and realized why they call it the "light show". Even if you are able to get a stable reading on the light sweep, you still dont know what it is telling you...

Plus do you really trust the stock 20 y/o O2 sensor?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JE_951
Plus do you really trust the stock 20 y/o O2 sensor?
In closed loop (the prevalent) mode the DME trusts it blindly and adjusts fuel accordingly.
If you don’t trust it, you better get a new one, clean up the grounds or disconnect it and hope that the base map is good enough.

The gauge is nothing more than a linear 0V to 1V voltmeter, but if you have a mental picture of the sensor’s calibration curve, it does tell a little bit in spite of the annoying “lightshow”.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Well I guess I might as well get a wideband anyway because I wired it up two different ways and the same two yellow lights were always on and never moved. I have the red wire going to the heated seat fuse slot and the black going to the ground under the gauges. I had the sensor wire tapped in at the o2 sensor wire and then moved it to the DME wire and it still doesn't work. Either I have a faulty gauge or 02 sensor? I don't think that could be causing my boost problem right?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 AM
saxman
Instructor

a narrowband offers nothing as far as figuring out what your a/f is, etc..

you need a wideband for anything useful

Quick Reply: A ? about narrow band wiring