Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why dont more people just turbo the S2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys, I have a 400hp 944S2, totally stock internals, stock compression, TO4B-60 hifi, running 10psi, standalone EMS, at 10psi runs 25 degrees advance and 11.5AFR. Drives every day in rush hour traffic, goes very well. I have run it up to 11.5psi and no detonation at all.

rgds
mike

Last edited by Mikes3.0cabturbo; 06-28-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:21 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes3.0cabturbo
Hi Guys, I have a 400hp 944S2, totally stock internals, stock compression, TO4B-60 hifi, running 10psi, standalone EMS, at 10psi runs 25 degrees advance and 11.5AFR. Drives every day in rush hour traffic, goes very well. I have run it up to 11.5psi and no detonation at all.

rgds
mike
I take it you've dynoed the car then?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

no just used the G-Tech so +-5%, its in that ballpark. Certainly a whole lot more than stock S2,
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike-

Are the letters on your valve cover painted or are they some kind of painted insert? I have been searching high and low for the lettered inserts for the 16v valve covers and cannot find them anywhere. I'm hoping yours are inserts, cus I desperately want some in silver! Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://jageng.com/garage9/product_in...75c3e2619a4598
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Originally Posted by NZ951
Conversion to turbo isnt that significant really, IC, pipes, hoses, turbo, x over pipe, oil feed, and harness and ECU, modify intake manifold, and possibly WG. Looking at the list of parts, how many look like ones many people modify with the turbo anyways? Looks like a few to me.
I got a 951 because you are told that the turbo platform is the way to go.

Than I started reading about the 3.0 turbos and found an S2 with a 968 engine, thinking half of the work is done for me.

The 968s come with forged pistons and rods so it seams like with a nice head gasket and some methanol injection it would make an easy turbo conversion.

But to my surprise no one will touch the car unless I rebuild the whole engine with low compression pistons rods ARP bolts and so on. I’m only looking for 12psi of boost and no one will touch it.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CARNEXUS
I got a 951 because you are told that the turbo platform is the way to go.

Than I started reading about the 3.0 turbos and found an S2 with a 968 engine, thinking half of the work is done for me.

The 968s come with forged pistons and rods so it seams like with a nice head gasket and some methanol injection it would make an easy turbo conversion.

But to my surprise no one will touch the car unless I rebuild the whole engine with low compression pistons rods ARP bolts and so on. I’m only looking for 12psi of boost and no one will touch it.
968 rods are not that great, not as strong as 951 rods. The compression ratio is quite high for forced induction and the exahust vlaves were not designed with the thermal impacts of forced induction in mind. And then you have to mod the engine mangement....its not a small project!
"only" 12 psi...that is not a small number when you compare it to other factroy forced induction systems (turbo or supercharged).
Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris White
968 rods are not that great, not as strong as 951 rods. The compression ratio is quite high for forced induction and the exahust vlaves were not designed with the thermal impacts of forced induction in mind. And then you have to mod the engine mangement....its not a small project!
"only" 12 psi...that is not a small number when you compare it to other factroy forced induction systems (turbo or supercharged).
I have seen guys boost 30psi+ with methanol injection on stock internals and a thick head gasket; the cars are turbo to begin with. I thought if you can go that high on stock turbo car, 12psi is doable on mine. But you are absolutely right it's a big project and if you are going to go in to it you have to be prepared and committed.
As you can tell I'm new to the P cars and I have allot to learn.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:58 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt go for the thick HG as a solution to lower compression, just because of the squish reason again...

In my Supra V8 project (10:1 compression), I plan on running 15psi with a water injection setup. people have run 13psi with no issues. Having said that, a friend of mine has a Honda b18 motor in an integra with 9.5:1 compression with forged pistions and runs 549WHP at 22psi.

I have not turbo charged the S2 motor before, but going off antedoctal evidence, with proper tuning you should be able to realise 12psi ok. Depends on a lot of factors including the combustion design etc.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:02 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If people are shying away from doing your project unless you rebuild the whole motor, you wouldnt want to go there anyways since they cant be that clued up! if i was you and you want to go ahead with this, start by doing all your research and gathering parts where you can, then when you are ready if you cant do the work yourself or with mates, then take it to a shop and say fit these parts to you specification.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have seen guys boost 30psi+ with methanol injection on stock internals and a thick head gasket; the cars are turbo to begin with. I thought if you can go that high on stock turbo car, 12psi is doable on mine. But you are absolutely right it's a big project and if you are going to go in to it you have to be prepared and committed.
First tip – when you read anything I post keep in mind that all I really care about is road race type power. I want it to last for hours and hours of constant full power output (as the factory designed it). I don’t really care about dyno queens or drag racing (not knocking it, just sayin’ it doesn’t float my boat).
If you took your 968 engine and ran 12 psi of boost at a road course you would have some issues. Big issues. Big expensive issues…!
Don’t under estimate the serious thermal load that continuous high boost will put on your engine. Heat soak will get you into detonation and then the thin 968 pistons will die much faster than the 951 pistons. The 968 rods will also fold up a lot quicker than the 951 forged roads.
But….you are right if you are thinking about an occasional blast of power – with enough octane, a thicker head gasket and some timing reduction it will last for street use.
Cars are cars and engines are engines…the one thing that Porsches have is that they were designed for road race type performance. Very few stock cars can live up to that level of abuse and still deliver great handling and performance.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM
phlip
Racer

Here's mine
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2007, 07:16 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

thats a nice car you have there phil who made the intake?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
phlip
Racer

Tim at Speedforce made it but I modified it a little.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Phil, what have you got in your 16v 3.0 please, can you give a run down of pistons, rods, compression, turbo etc

Also did you run the cam cover breathers to a catch can or to the intake directly, is the AOS still connected up?

thanks
mike

Quick Reply: Why dont more people just turbo the S2?