Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bigger intercooler vs HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not do the ebay thing?

imho endtank design is better on this unit than patricks. (both are still far from perfect though)
Old 09-09-2007, 08:20 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note for this thread...
This large size ic fits with 3" outlets in the vertical position (much, much better flow) at 4 inches thick.
You just need a little "clearancing"
Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
tedesco
Instructor

did anyone ever measure the temperature- or pressure drop of the custom build solutions shown above? I really doubt that they are significantly better than the stock installation (with VERY few exceptions).
The stock intercoolers core has a small frontal area but is quite thick whereas most of the aftermarket cores are only half as thick but twice as high as the stock core. This aids heat transfere, if the flow towards the core and behind the core would be unobsrtucted but this is hardly ever the case due to the front brace of the chassis and the number plate holder area ahead of the core on the bumper.
The higher but thinner core mostly used leads to higher pressure drop due to its shape being further away from a circular shape that I would considder to be ideal in terms of pressure drop.
The other parameter hard to quantify is the fin design. Only measurements would help.
I would simply go for two stock intercoolers. They could be installed with only minor modifications. As most agree, the stock core is good till about 350-400HP so two cores would do the job for most of us.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well the guy who did my i/c has calculated it to flow enough for 750hp and as far as the end tanks go, I believe that there are fitting issues to be considered, but I'll try to confirm with him on his designs.
www.plazmaman.com
Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well the guy who did my i/c has calculated it to flow enough for 750hp and as far as the end tanks go, I believe that there are fitting issues to be considered, but I'll try to confirm with him on his designs.
www.plazmaman.com
yes, our cars are always a compromise trying to fit stuff up front, hence the endtank, it was looking very sharp though.

and as IC's go I'm rather tired of heat soaking and bigger IS better in some cases.

Quick Reply: Bigger intercooler vs HP