Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial and no aftermarket Boost Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Bullwings
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complexity is only part of it. I was advised not to use them by the guys at Vision, and since the owner used to race 951s, I'll trust that advice. (main reason)

Besides, when was the last time you saw a full blown racing 951 with an EBC? Those guys just set the WG springs to where they want it, and go out and drive. Simplicity = reliability (usually).

EBCs are fine and probably really good (otherwise they wouldn't be around anymore). I just don't think they're necessary or needed, which answers the question in the first post.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:04 PM
sawood12
Racer

However the factory Porsche race cars (914's etc) used DPW's with mechanical pressure reducing valves to set the boost pressure - similar to MBC's.

Not sure I agree with the concept that adding complexity is necessarily going to spell doom. If this was the case we'd never have had fuel injection and turbo's in the first place. EBC's are pretty reliable - there isn't much to them really and i've never heard of any failing, certainly in a catastrophic way. The benefits of DPW's are such that i'd never go back to a single port wastegate. Life is too short to be waiting for the boost to kick in.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM
cosmo303
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtnman82
So Cosmo ...... you're the guy who snaked me at the end of Lart's auction for the exhaust?? Good snake if so. My family was on the way out the door right at that moment and I didn't get my final bid in quick enough (by like 2 seconds). I'm sooooooo jealous.

Yeah that was me, sorry! I ordered the quiet flow cat-back from SFR after the auction ended. The beginning of the high HP quest has started!

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm going to get an EBC and just wait to install everything at once. Still trying to decide what boost controller to go with.

John
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If'n I didn't get it, at least it was another Rennlister that got it!!!!! More power to you .....

Quick Reply: Tial and no aftermarket Boost Controller?