Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First post greetings and exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question First post greetings and exhaust leak?

Greetings to all. I’ve lurked for too long, about two years, finally decided to join.
Now that I have some knowledge and experience I hope to contribute in a positive way to this unique forum.

I’d also like to recognize some of the Columbus listers. Vick, Gabe, Kyle, Ryan, and Nelson all class acts.

Now for the exhaust dilemma… I have a leak between the manifold and crossover.
Do I need to drop the crossover pipe, (89’ 951), to replace the seals? If that is necessary, can I reuse my intake manifold gaskets that have about 500mi. on them?

If my dash gauge is correct, I’m looking to find the missing .2bar after replacing these seals.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to drop the crossover to replace the rings. .2 bar would be a pretty good exhaust leak.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acetylene, thanks for the good and bad news. The .2 bar loss came after doing belts, seals, sleeves, rollers, water pump, cam cover and intake gaskets, vacuum lines, throttle body, etc. The exhaust leaks were obvious, so I’m starting there.
Now I’ll join the masses looking for vacuum leaks. See how well I do with the search feature.

BTW, if anyone needs nut and bolt specs and part numbers for every fastener on a two piece crossover I have them.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:19 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Block the tail pipe briefly with the car at idle and see where the exhaust comes out. The 2-3 header has broken on my car twice, under the shielding you can't see it but you can hear it when you block the tail pipe.

Quick Reply: First post greetings and exhaust leak?