Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Simple Oil Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Oil Question.....

Ok, well I was driving down the highway after an oil change and noticed smoke coming up through the cabin. It eventually got so bad that I had to pull over and tow the car home. I have a new rear seal but I put in either 10w30 or 5w30 Purple Oil or whatever its called. i know most of the oil has already leaked out but can I just add some 20w50 Castrol Synthetic oil without completely changing the oil??

do you guys think I got the leak because of the 5w30 oil? and are there any products like something from lucas that could help prevent the leak?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you've got a 951, and you live in SA, TX, and you're using 10w30?! Are you nuts? In this hot a climate, I wouldn't use anything less than 15W50. You probably got your leak due to the too-low viscosity.

But yes, you could theoretically pour some higher-weight stuff in there to top it off. I would recommend totally changing the oil and put in the correct stuff this time.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

ok ya I just wanted to put some oil in there for the meantime just to drive to my tools so I can change it out.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Ok, well I was driving down the highway after an oil change and noticed smoke coming up through the cabin. It eventually got so bad that I had to pull over and tow the car home. I have a new rear seal but I put in either 10w30 or 5w30 Purple Oil or whatever its called. i know most of the oil has already leaked out but can I just add some 20w50 Castrol Synthetic oil without completely changing the oil??

do you guys think I got the leak because of the 5w30 oil? and are there any products like something from lucas that could help prevent the leak?
Was the leak caused by the oil? NO! It was caused by leaking seals. The low weight oil just made it more apparent. For the same price I would try Valvoline VR1 racing oil. Ski lives in the Memphis/Arkansas area and it does very well for his cars.
If you use any of that stop leak crap, you will VERY likely cause sludge build up. Try and stay away from that stuff. As

As mentioned above, your climate is way too hot for that weight of oil and additionally your 20 year old engine wasn't originally built to the tolerances that Porsche engines are now. With time and wear, it will definitely be more prone to leakage. Try to find some 20w60 or 15w-50 oil from now on.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:03 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious ... what kind of rear seal was installed?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont use Lucas, all junk IMHO. Yay for foamy gear oil! If "most of the oil has leaked out" then youve got something major going on by the sounds of it...
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Its a new rear seal that I got from Lindsey Racing or Paragon but dont remember the name. i have yet to see if the oil is actually leaking out of the rear seal or somewhere else.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you may have to replace the cam cover gasket.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Who installed the rear main seal? I had issues with my 'new' seal and had to end up replacing it twice to get it to be leak free(so far anyway). The old seal most likely wore a slight groove in the crank and if the new seal is not placed in a fresh spot on the crank itself it will usually leak. Hope for the best that the oil is the cause of your leak, however you may be doing the seal again! Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Dan(Sharky47) helped me do most of the job. The seal was leaking before with a heavier oil but only a few drops now and then. Im hoping I can just add the new oil and the leak will stop or slow down. But until I can get my tools over to my new house there is no saying.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Ok, well I was driving down the highway after an oil change and noticed smoke coming up through the cabin.
Are you sure you did not spill oil when refilling it? The turbo and downpipe are right there -- if they get a few tablespoons of oil on them, they can create quite a smoke screen! Also, do you have the plasic cover over the hvac parts between the firewall and base of windshield? That helps keep smoke out of the cabin and, of course, hitting the recirc button will also help keep the smoke out.

Quick Reply: Simple Oil Question.....