Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil thermostat need replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil thermostat need replacing?

I was looking around on the Lindsey site and ran across a note that a car could run hot if the oil thermostat is stuck closed. They said to check the oil cooler. If the engine coolant is hot and the oil cooler still at ambient, the oil thermostat is stuck.

I've been running a bit hot IMO. It doesn't overheat but still seems pretty darn hot in the engine compartent even after 10-15 minute drives. As in, cam tower too hot to touch. I had a very short drive tonight, the coolant temp was starting to raise to operating temperature but the oil cooler was still very cool.

I'll check again after a longer drive or let it idle till the fans kick in and check again.

How hard is it to replace the oil thermostat?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:17 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that will solve the problem you are having....

But, that oil cooler thermostat is located in the oil cooler/housing. Ever wondered what that big allen plug is next to the oil filter? that's the cap, the thermostat is inside. It's function is to allow oil to pass through to the external oil cooler, when needed.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Find a point and shoot thermometer and see if the oil cooler is hot after a long drive. See "oil seals" replacement procedure in the link under this post. If the housing is off the car, you can boil it in peanut oil and watch the thermostat open.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would be surprised how long it takes the oil temp to come up the coolant temp with normal driving. I would take it out for a 30 minute drive and then feel the hoses going to the oil cooler.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by beab951
You would be surprised how long it takes the oil temp to come up the coolant temp with normal driving. I would take it out for a 30 minute drive and then feel the hoses going to the oil cooler.

Takes even longer to boil peanut oil...

Quick Reply: Oil thermostat need replacing?