Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Warning Light - Brake Fluid (searched links inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:47 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

I went with new OEM parts. What started out as a simple repair ended with a couple of friends, a couple of weeks, and lots of beer.

I'm using ATE super blue racing fluid and after not being able to find it locally, I just ordered a can on-line. The fluid level in the reservoir had dropped below the outlet to the brake line and once it was topped off and driven a short distance, I noticed a leak in the brake line at the outlet. I snipped off a half inch of line, reconnected it, bled the brakes and discovered one can of brake fluid was not enough. I ordered a second bottle to finish the bleeding (replacing all the old fluid) and the warning light persisted. Then I followed the old brake line to inspect for additional leaks, found another leak, and noticed it was wet behind the pedals.

A new master cylinder and a new brake line was ordered. Having the car up on the jack stands really bothered me so I invited some friends who had more knowledge on brakes than me and set a date to finish. Now that it is finished, she's going on the road and into the mountains this weekend with my Saratoga top that should arrive today.

Next project is replacing the Koni reds on the rear with Koni yellows and replacing the front sway bar bushings in preparation for the next AX in just a couple of weeks.

And yes, I've got to post another pic.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Then I followed the old brake line to inspect for additional leaks, found another leak, and noticed it was wet behind the pedals.
I assume that the replacement of the MC cured this particular problem/sign. I ask because this is exactly what is happening with mine and if it's just a hose somewhere then that would be nice......HIGHLY UNLIKELY but nice.

Thanks again for the info and the pics
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Well, I really don't have time to do this job so I called Porsche Zentrum Mannheim to get an idea of what they would charge to replace the MC for me. The werkmeister was really nice and knowledgable about 951's and after some discussion, he stated that it would be about 600Euros........ After some discussion with my accountant, I've convinced her that for $800 I can buy all the parts, tools, jack stands (that I need), a 500GB WD My book, new brakes, a Universal Power Bleeder, and rack of beer

I will use Clarks write up and just make the time to do this. The only issue I have with just looking at everything and thinking about this is the reality of the two different pics below. The first pic is Clarks and the second mine.

NC, How is she running now and how do you like the Saratoga top? - PICS?
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ittia
NC, How is she running now and how do you like the Saratoga top? - PICS?
She's running good. Took her into the mountains Saturday. No pics of the Saratoga but meant to take some Saturday AM after she got cleaned up. The top whistles, something my stock top did not do. Not sure how to remedy this if possible.

Yesterday, ordered Khumo Victoracers 225/50/15 for the car. Next autocross is in two weeks.

As an aside, Saturday we went to a Cowboy Shoot. No the indians were not shooting the cowboys....

This is a timed event much like an autocross. A course is laid out with ten pylons and one balloon mounted on top of each pylon (six different courses for the six heats). The riders, on their horses have to shoot balloons while navigating the course. Five balloons one way then swap guns, turn the horse, and five more on the way back. Everybody was in period costumes (late 1800s).

The 45 caliber pistols are loaded with blanks and the percussion of the blanks pop the balloons. Some of these guys were good.

Becca and I talked about trying this, but just the pistols run $500.00 each and then you have to buy the leather accessories. In addition, it's hard on the horses, some of the horses were wearing ear plugs too.

Instead of buying pistols with a vesectomy i.e. ones that fire blanks, I bought my new tires. LOL
Old 10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
ittia
Burning Brakes

NC or anyone,

How the heck did you manage to get to the MC? See pics in post #18 for what I am looking at on top of the MC. I got the seat out, the clip off the clevis, and clevis off the push rod. Went to tackle the next step in getting the MC out and am just stumped at how to get all the crap out of the way. Some it can simply be pulled out of the way but most of it isn't going anywhere. At least not until I pull out the bolt cutters.

Thanks for any assistance folks.

Quick Reply: Warning Light - Brake Fluid (searched links inside)