Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Microencapsulated Knock Sensor Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Microencapsulated Knock Sensor Bolt?

The FSM says to install the knock sensor with a new 'microencapsulated" bolt. The bolt I removed is standard enough in size, but shows the remains of blue goo -- "microencapsulation" material presumably. Anyone have the part number for said bolt? PET is not clear to me on this and the regular 944 stores don't seem to stock it. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The FSM says to install the knock sensor with a new 'microencapsulated" bolt. The bolt I removed is standard enough in size, but shows the remains of blue goo -- "microencapsulation" material presumably. Anyone have the part number for said bolt? PET is not clear to me on this and the regular 944 stores don't seem to stock it. Thanks.
All that means is that the original bolt came with a hard microencapsulated sealant already bonded to the bolt that activates once it's cut and torqued then acts like any thread sealant and locker. I've replaced knock sensors on many cars and used the Loctite Blue. You can buy new bolts already coated but why pay for a specialized bolt? They just want make sure the bolt is firmly in contact with the block for the sensor to pick up a repeatable signal; if the bolt works loose at all the knock sensor will not work.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...r/Scotch-Grip/

Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Wonder why they didn't specify loctite?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Wonder why they didn't specify loctite?
Probably the same reason they assume you will never pull the head studs. The FSM doesn't cover that either or why doesn't the girdle sit flush on 2nd assembly? All they are trying to do is make sure the bolt doesn't back off. Maybe they have a factory part you can buy with the threadlocker on it already but all PET says is it's a standard M8 x 28 hex-head bolt (#N 010 233 6). I gave up trying to figure out what they were thinking with these engines.

You can always buy a 3M 'microencapsulated' coating and do your own but it seems sort of pointless to me.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--
Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i removed the sensor to re-wire the terminals, i re-used the bolt without washer as the manual stated, no problems, no loctite as well.

I believe this is because they want the bolt to receive all the 'noise' and go straight to the sensor, and not have a washer interfere with it?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J-B Weld

Quick Reply: Microencapsulated Knock Sensor Bolt?