Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Longer Lasting Timing Belts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
As easy as belt changes are I can see replacing one on a car with no records. Then you have the same people that change the water pump with every belt...go figure?
So would you rather do two belts on the 944 or the single belt on your iX? BMW sure didn't make a belt change much fun on those either if you've done yours. I prefer the 944 only because I've done a few, my 325iX had me swearing at whoever designed those metal belt covers, distributor cap, a forward hinged hood, and studded standoff bolts.
I owned a couple 325iX's as well. One of which was for 8 years so I had my share of pain changing that belt a few times. I always removed the hood and the radiator(the skin on my knuckles was thankful for that). So yeah the 944 belts are WAY easier to change. lol

1988 325ix - Diamantschwarz. Sold at 275,000mi. in perfect running order but the body was starting to lose it's fight with cancer (man, I miss that car). The biggest mistake of my life was selling that car, the second biggest was breaking up with the girl I sold it to.

1989 325ix - 4dr AT, Silver. Bought on Ebay, sold 2 years later as it wasn't nearly as fun as the 2dr loaded MT '88.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
I owned a couple 325iX's as well. One of which was for 8 years so I had my share of pain changing that belt a few times. I always removed the hood and the radiator(the skin on my knuckles was thankful for that). So yeah the 944 belts are WAY easier to change. lol

1988 325ix - Diamantschwarz. Sold at 275,000mi. in perfect running order but the body was starting to lose it's fight with cancer (man, I miss that car). The biggest mistake of my life was selling that car, the second biggest was breaking up with the girl I sold it to.

1989 325ix - 4dr AT, Silver. Bought on Ebay, sold 2 years later as it wasn't nearly as fun as the 2dr loaded MT '88.
Sorry to get OT but I know what you mean, the iX is a cool little car. I almost gave up last Summer after a HG failure and head warp issue, I replaced the head twice in 3 weeks, but hung in there because both me and the son that drives it while in college loves it. My 91 Lazur Blau Metallic is supposedly one of only 3 - 5-speed Coupes that year before they pulled the plug early in the production run. Even having a Lazur Blau is rare. Mine has 235K on it now and still runs great, no rust, and it always starts. The only iX related problem was a sheared front drive shaft so I bought a new one 2 years ago. If you have a source for the front axles or CV's only please let me know since I've had no luck at all finding a set. Mine are OK for now but I know the day will come.

You can now return to the usual timing belt hysteria.

This pic is from the day I bought it two years ago and before cleaning it up, new wheels, and new Lexan fogs.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Don’t worry about your belts – worry about the rollers / tensioners.
Belts don’t fail without reason – its usually bad rollers / tensioners / water pump.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 PM
2bridges
Drifting

One point nobody has brought up. Belt life changes drastically with expose to contaminants particularily oil based.

oil, grime, dirt, etc will directly effect belt life and premature failure.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
You people are freaking belt ****'s. A quality belt like a Gates or Conti will go the full 30K and then some. People are worrying about a 4 year old 4K mile belt? Retension your belts and you'll see more than 30K. The 944 isn't kind to critical belts but I think many people overreact about Belt Zen...it's still just a car and you need to keep it running well.
But I like talking out of my *** at times! It usually makes me sound smart, at least when I'm correct. [/whine]

Since we're on the topic of belts, can they get stretched easily? I was doing mine last weekend and didn't bother looking up what tension to go to with the Kricket, so following the directions that come with it I tensioned the cam belt to 100 and the Bs belt to 70 or so. By the time I figured out I have them twice as tight as they are supposed to be, I didn't have time to undo the tensioners before leaving for vacation. Will the belts be screwed up from sitting over-tensioned for two weeks? I also hand cranked the motor a couple of times, but I doubt that did any damage.

Also, are new balance shaft belt idler pulleys grey in color, or are they black? I'm fairly certain I put the new pulley on instead of the old, but just wanted to check.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i would agree the oem belt is not very good a gates is an upgrade or the fancy blue gates . also the earlier cars can be upgraded to the later wider belt
Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Please stop me if you have heard this before…..
Its not the belts – it’s the rollers / tensioners!!
By over tightening (and leaving it that way) you are adding a lot more stress to the bearings of the rollers/tensioners. When they fail so will you belt and your engine.
So, at the risk of being redundant - Its not the belts – it’s the rollers / tensioners!!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone ever seen a snapped belt?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
sawood12
Racer

Well another reason for timing belts going is the balance shaft belt going and taking out the timing belt with it. People tend to forget about the balance shaft belt because it doesnt have as stringent replacement interval and in threory it fails safe, but in reality there is a high chance it will take out your timing belt. Just replace it ahead of the Porsche recommended service interval and only change your balance shaft belt and there is nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Longer Lasting Timing Belts