Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Considering a Vitesse or Lindsey kit.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 PM
clangjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Vitesse or Lindsey kit.....need advice

I am considering a Vitesse or Lindsy upgrade. Let me say I am a very novice mechanic.

I currently have a 1986 944 turbo. I have the guru chips on it, upgraded fuel pressure regulator, and the manual boost controller.

My car has 65,000 miles on it. Is there anything I should do preventive maintenance wise before I put on a kit?

How involved is the installation and tuning of the Stage III or 340hp kit? Is th exhaust a must have? I am guessing there is a fair amount of work involved in doing the install, plus I don't really have the time. What should I expect in installation costs? Are there recommended install shops in the Baltimore area?

Tell me everything I need to know.
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only comment on the Vitesse stuff.
No tuning necessary.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 AM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck - both Lindsey and Vitesse make great products. Do some searching, and you'll find lots of info here. I'm presently in the same boat as you - working on some upgrades and performance mods - and considering my options. The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself as much as possible (MAF vs. AFM vs, MAP, wideband vs. narrowband, ball-bearing vs. traditional turbo, etc., etc.). Or, if you are a novice mechanic with little time to work on your car, I suggest you find a local shop who is experienced with 951's and have them do the work for you. Generally, good Porsche mechanics are not cheap, but I can't comment on installation costs as I do most of my work myself.

Things to keep in mind....... Whenever you upgrade to larger turbo, you must also upgrade chips and fuel injectors to match. Not all upgraded turbos bolt right in...some require modifications in order to fit. Depending on which way you go, you might need a piggyback to help with tuning. And yes, you should definitely upgrade to a larger exhaust (and wastegate) when you upgrade to a larger turbo.

As far as preventative maintenance... Make sure your belts/rollers and water pump have been serviced recently (Porsche recommends every 30k). At 65k miles, you might want to inspect your plugs, wires, distributor, and rotor button. Also, make sure your fuel lines are in good shape...the old rubber lines tend to crack and cause engine fires. Make sure your brakes are working properly, too...especially if you are going upwards of 300HP (you'll need to trust your brakes).

Hope this helps...good luck.

Quick Reply: Considering a Vitesse or Lindsey kit.....need advice