How many fasteners hold the oil pump heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many fasteners hold the oil pump heat shield

Getting ready to put the oil pump heat shield back in and only see one bolt that holds it on but two eyes on the bracket. I have the head, heater pipe, headers etc...off but can't see a place for another fastener to go. Is held on w/ only one bolt?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got this from a post circa '02 (someone was talking about removing this heatshield w/ headers and all still on the motor):

2) There are a total of 4 10mm bolts that secure the heat-shield down. The heat shield is composed of 2 pieces, a forward piece and a rear piece. The two sections of the heat-shield are secured together by 3 bolts that go on a bracket. This bracket is then secured to the oil filter housing by one 10 mm bolt towards the top left side of the housing, when viewed from underneath the vehicle. 2 out of the 3 bolts are ONLY accessible from underneath the vehicle. Removing these bolts requires the use of a 12" extension and a universal joint. The bracket bolt that mounts to the filter housing is also removed from underneath at the same time the other 2 bolts are removed. The 3rd heat-shield bolt is accessible from the top only. This bolt is almost directly underneath the #2 cylinder exhaust manifold. Again, use extension and universal joint to remove this bolt. I lost this bolt since it dropped out when I loosened it all the way.

Still finding it hard to believe that the heat shield is attached w/ only 1 bolt??? Can anyone verify.

TIA
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ack! Where the hell does the other bolt go! I see no where on my cooler housing to put another bolt. I know there are different revisions of the housing to accept the different OPVRs....but were these mounting holes rev'd?

11. Remove Heat Shield. Loosen the heat shield above the oil housing (just under the header) by removing the two 10mm bolts holding it onto the oil filter housing. The shield is actually three separate pieces bolted together with three 10mm bolts. Two of the bolts are visible and accessible from below. The third bolt is only visible from above. You need to slide the heat shield around until the third bolt is accessible between the header pipes. Don’t be fooled into trying to loosen any of the nuts on the heat shield – they are welded in place. Once you remove the third bolt, the heat shield will fall apart into three pieces. Once in pieces, the separate pieces can be wiggled out of the car from below. Removing the heat shield will provide the space needed to get the oil filter housing out once unbolted. With the heat shield in the car, it is very difficult to get the housing out of the engine bay.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

aribop recently posted pics of his engine, and one of the pics shows that heat shield bolted in place. I'm not sure if this will help, but here is a link to his thread showing the pic:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/367290-the-one-and-only-very-first.html
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

This may help:
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Also see step 11 in the oil seal write-up in the link below. And, here's another picture...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How many fasteners hold the oil pump heat shield