Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

engine fire ! damn !

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
maybe its just a temp sensor and when it exceeds a certain temp it tells the system to cut ign and used the fire suppresion
that wouldn't work, as the temps by the exhaust manifolds under full boost can reach hotter than temps an oil/gas fire would be able to produce.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Lart is just giving you a hard time... I think the better household smoke detectors use some form of photo cell to detect smoke. You could probably hook one up to an input and then use the wolf to cut fuel and ignition and use an output to control a fire supression system.

As for your issue... are you using the KLR line for the internal MAP in the Wolf? If so, maybe this is the issue.

All the best with getting it fixed quickly.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
philcav7
Racer

Originally Posted by LFA951
That's weird, my oil drips on my cross member all the time and never catches on fire, just smokes on the side, hmmm
This is the reason that mine is parked right now.

Don't want to spend the money for someone to fix it and I don't have the time to do it myself.

Mine smokes like crazy and don't want to take the chance of a fire.
I am not sure what the flash point of oil is, but I am not taking the chance.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
nize
Banned

i'm actually curious about this so i read up a bit. there are three types of detectors, optical, ionization, and uv. optical and ionization both detect smoke, which wouldn't work on our cars as they can sometimes smoke, or they could get set off if you're following a diesel truck or something else that smokes. the uv kind actually detect flames as they emit uv light, and could work, except i'm wondering if they'll be activated if you open your hood and let sunlight in;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

i got the car home. the line to the klr apparantly melted, which is ironic as that's the only line i didn't replace with high-temp silicone because it's difficult to run that through the firewall. i ran a temporary line from the intake manifold through the passenger window and the car ran like a champ, though it smoked from the oil still leaking.

time to replace the cam cover gasket and find out how/why it leaked.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I've seen some oil on my crossover and testpipe, now I'm scared.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by nize
i'm actually curious about this so i read up a bit. there are three types of detectors, optical, ionization, and uv. optical and ionization both detect smoke, which wouldn't work on our cars as they can sometimes smoke, or they could get set off if you're following a diesel truck or something else that smokes. the uv kind actually detect flames as they emit uv light, and could work, except i'm wondering if they'll be activated if you open your hood and let sunlight in;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

i got the car home. the line to the klr apparantly melted, which is ironic as that's the only line i didn't replace with high-temp silicone because it's difficult to run that through the firewall. i ran a temporary line from the intake manifold through the passenger window and the car ran like a champ, though it smoked from the oil still leaking.

time to replace the cam cover gasket and find out how/why it leaked.
Glad you sorted out what your problem was Nize. The KLR line is also the only line I didn't replace but I've got a spare port in my Laust spiecal vacuum manifold, so i was planning ojn running silicone line (think I've got just enough left) to the Wolf. BTW, should get the harness back Monday.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
s....a sudden oil leak by the back of the cam cover. on the way home the oil dripped on the exhaust manifold and caught fire.
So is this the $68,000 car that caught fire?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 AM
nize
Banned

okay it's not the headgasket, but it's the cam cover gasket that failed, leaking oil on the exhaust and causing an engine fire. you can see the tear in the bottom left of the photo.

the gasket has been replaced and the car is back on the road again and runs like nothing happened. took my time with the work and managed to do it in around 5hours, including running a new vacuum line to the KLR.

anybody have suggestions on how to clean up all the soot in the engine bay? pressure washing doesn't remove it, but wiping with a sponge does. problem is, you can't reach all the nooks and crannies with a sponge.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Wow, that's the hottest part of the exhaust
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Peter,

I just now saw this thread. You should have called I would have towed you with my truck. I have the rope and clevises etc.

Tough break, but don't feel bad about the gasket, lots of them leak. Did you use sealant or put it down dry?

Lou
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM
nize
Banned

originally put it down dry, as i had no problems in the past. this time, i used the copper gasket spray sealant.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Use the self cleaning channel of the Wolf, it will take care of it.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by pole position
Use the self cleaning channel of the Wolf, it will take care of it.
good idea !
Old 07-27-2007, 04:01 PM
nize
Banned

here's the melted section of the klr line;

Quick Reply: engine fire ! damn !