engine fire ! damn !

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFA951
That's weird, my oil drips on my cross member all the time and never catches on fire, just smokes on the side, hmmm
same

sure your fuel lines didnt burst? lol
Old 07-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If it idles OK but doesn’t respond well to load it not a vacuum issue (likely to be electrical).
Sounds like a wiring issue – take a look at the main harness as it passes right by where the oil leak was. The quick test is to ‘jiggle’ the harness and try running it again.
It sounds like the DME is seeing a TPS closed signal from the TPS.
Good luck……
Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1, sounds just like a disconnected TPS.

LFA951, same here, and I'm a little ashamed to say how many miles have been driven with it like this.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
hey nize..... do you run "wrapped" crossover/header?? Can't imagine oil fire otherwise unless a massive leak.

Please share as many think oil fires from exhaust wrapping is an urban legend- and sorry again to hear of your misfortune
i run stock exhaust header/crossover, not wrapped.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
nize
Banned

That's weird, my oil drips on my cross member all the time and never catches on fire, just smokes on the side, hmmm
this was a pretty big leak. there was a steady stream of oil squirting out as if a water gun was set to constant pump.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris White
If it idles OK but doesn’t respond well to load it not a vacuum issue (likely to be electrical).
Sounds like a wiring issue – take a look at the main harness as it passes right by where the oil leak was. The quick test is to ‘jiggle’ the harness and try running it again.
It sounds like the DME is seeing a TPS closed signal from the TPS.
Good luck……
the main wiring harness is fine, or at least appears to be.

i'm wondering if perhaps the vac.line that leads to the klr is melted. i'll check later today.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I've been driving it like this for almost a year and I have no plans to fix it anytime soon, not putting any more money into her, I just check the oil regularly. I don't think oil is combustible like gasoline to catch fire on contact with hot metal just like that, it's got to be either fuel or electrical issues down there...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Nize, that really sucks but I am a bit surprised you didn't caught the fire earlier. My DTA stand alone has a fire sensing mode that disables the ignition and activates the fire supressant system.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
Nize, that really sucks but I am a bit surprised you didn't caught the fire earlier. My DTA stand alone has a fire sensing mode that disables the ignition and activates the fire supressant system.
thats hot err I mean cool I definately want a fire suppresion system for my car right now its just a fire extinguisher
Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951

damn dude - give the guy a break.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
nize
Banned

how does it detect a fire? what type of sensor is involved? perhaps i can make mine do that.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 PM
nize
Banned

and if you're kidding about the DTA having a fire sensor, boy am i glad i post about my misfortunes to keep you guys entertained. lots of great info on rennlist, eh?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a big difference between oil dripping onto the chassis crossmember and the exhaust crossover. Crossover = flames.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nize
and if you're kidding about the DTA having a fire sensor, boy am i glad i post about my misfortunes to keep you guys entertained. lots of great info on rennlist, eh?
maybe its just a temp sensor and when it exceeds a certain temp it tells the system to cut ign and used the fire suppresion
Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 PM
myskyon
Intermediate

well i was there when this happened talk about scary and from what i/we could see with the flashlight and what not. i could not find any wire damage but suspect vacume line damage. but it still dowsnt make sence.
could the fuel line have colapsed inside due to heat or would it have just melted through? first thing i did with the water was poured it on the fuel lines as that is where most of the flames were they were consintrated to that back corner but the flames them selves were coming up right under the fuel lines. also nize has a wolf3d setup so its not completly stock.
i do howeven have to agree now that i think about it more and more that is sounds like a bad wire/ melted wire. but the symptoms when running are that just like a large vacume leak can see it on the guage.

Quick Reply: engine fire ! damn !