Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guru Piggyback Map 2 units.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 01:32 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Default Guru Piggyback Map 2 units.

Hello to all. I am seeking info on the Guru Map 2 Piggyback unit from others that have in the past used it or that are still using it on their 951's. Also is there a web site or direct vender contact that has operational details and set up info for these units. Are people that are using it happy with its performance and how does it compare to the other units that are on the market in both setup and performance.? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2007 | 01:51 PM
eniac
Drifting

You will see many mixed reviews on this, most bad but I think it's a good unit when someone actually takes the time to set it up. I have a Guru AFMLink MAP systems setup on my car. It runs way better then it did with the Huntley Stage 4 MAF w/ ARC 2 I had. Well at least the Guru MAP DID run great until I decided to put my 83# injectors back in. I'm should be recieving a MAXchip anyday now so hopefully that will help smooth things out.

The Link unit is a pain and time consuming. If you want hassle free then go with Vitesse.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:26 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Stephen, thanks for the feedback. Are we the only ones out there using this system?
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:40 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

I have an AFMLink setup as well - the car runs fairly well with proper tuning... That said, I am going with something different ASAP. But, I have been saying that for 3 years now!
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:42 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Chris - you could go with my setup. Then we can exchange/compare maps...

Rogue
Old 07-18-2007 | 09:56 PM
User 41221
Banned

I had a Guru Map/chip/AFMLink/hand tuner system. In my opinion, its not well suited to cars running Motronics (I'm being charitable here). At best, I could *almost* tune it to a liveable compromise. I had a Lindsey Stage II MAF with piggyback that was a MUCH better, and the Vitesse set up I currently have has made me completely happy.

The standalone Link system was probably a better set-up, but the folks that I know that ran it had reliability problems with it.

Regards,
Old 07-19-2007 | 08:11 AM
sawood12
Racer

The critisism i've heard about the Link system is that the resolution of the cells is not that good, something like 300rpm or arond that. Is this true and if so is this the main reason for it's difficulty to tune well? the only chap here in the UK I know of with the Link system has tuned it in pretty well but he said it was a very long and labourious process mostly due to this lack of resolution issue.
Old 07-19-2007 | 09:27 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

I used to run a Link AFM and had decent results with it. Its weak spot was the flat spot on initial acceleration that couldn't really be tuned out. It was most apparent moving off from a stand still. Having said that the car was still enjoyable to drive on the street & track, just not perfect.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:20 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

"The standalone Link system was probably a better set-up, but the folks that I know that ran it had reliability problems with it.

What problems did they have? I'm interested as I have 3 units running right now (5 years) and no problems so far.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:31 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

This is the very problem that I am having , from a standing start the car stumbles its way from 1500 rpm - 2800 rpm, at that point the turbo has begun to spool up and from that point forward things smooth out but it is a pain to wait for this very flat patch in the accelaration to pass each time I pull away from a light. I am new to turbo ownership so i need to study this more and see if it can be corrected before I make a decision about changing anything. Thanks to all for the feedback.
Old 07-19-2007 | 12:31 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by m42racer
"The standalone Link system was probably a better set-up, but the folks that I know that ran it had reliability problems with it.

What problems did they have? I'm interested as I have 3 units running right now (5 years) and no problems so far.

m42 - i am VERY VERY interested to hear power figures or acceleration numbers from these systems relative to turbo size.

The untuneable flat spot comes from transfer.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:01 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

SpecialTuner,

I never used the AFM unit. Only the standalone systems.

BTW, it was Koklen that wanted to use the AFM on the 944. Link did not, but Koklen asked for this unit to be suppied only as a 944 application. The tuning and all of the compatibility with eproms was down to Koklen.

Seems some have no issue with ther flat spot. Could this be from a different base eprom used in the ECU?
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:05 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by m42racer
SpecialTuner,

I never used the AFM unit. Only the standalone systems.

BTW, it was Koklen that wanted to use the AFM on the 944. Link did not, but Koklen asked for this unit to be suppied only as a 944 application. The tuning and all of the compatibility with eproms was down to Koklen.

Seems some have no issue with ther flat spot. Could this be from a different base eprom used in the ECU?

We know human psycholoy, M42 - some guys hate to admit when they've made a mistake.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:59 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally Posted by spanky
This is the very problem that I am having , from a standing start the car stumbles its way from 1500 rpm - 2800 rpm, at that point the turbo has begun to spool up and from that point forward things smooth out but it is a pain to wait for this very flat patch in the accelaration to pass each time I pull away from a light. I am new to turbo ownership so i need to study this more and see if it can be corrected before I make a decision about changing anything. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Whoa! It should not be that bad at all... Post up your settings, or send them to me so I can take a look.

Has anyone had time to try my logging app?
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/365639-link-data-logger-v4-1-a.html

I was hoping someone could get some use out of it!
Old 07-19-2007 | 02:58 PM
TurboTim
Banned

When I was tuning the Link AFM, I noticed that the rpms were off by 500 on the hand-held in relationship to where the change was being made on the actual rpm of the car.It made tuning a real bitch till I figured out what was going on. At that point I just subtracted 500 rpm from every cell that needed tuning and it was all good. And yes........ at idle the rpms were insync between the factory tach and the AFM link.When you stabbed the throttle, the rpms were consistent too.

Quick Reply: Guru Piggyback Map 2 units.