Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guru Piggyback Map 2 units.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:44 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
When I was tuning the Link AFM, I noticed that the rpms were off by 500 on the hand-held in relationship to where the change was being made on the actual rpm of the car.It made tuning a real bitch till I figured out what was going on. At that point I just subtracted 500 rpm from every cell that needed tuning and it was all good. And yes........ at idle the rpms were insync between the factory tach and the AFM link.When you stabbed the throttle, the rpms were consistent too.
So you mean the cells would change 500 RPM late or that while driving the displayed RPM was off by 500? I have RPM displayed on my AVC-R and my Link, both show about 100 RPM less then the tach but match up with each other at any speed.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by cpt_koolbeenz
Whoa! It should not be that bad at all... Post up your settings, or send them to me so I can take a look.

Has anyone had time to try my logging app?
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/365639-link-data-logger-v4-1-a.html

I was hoping someone could get some use out of it!
I recieved your pm and will reply . I do plan on using this to tune my Link but am waiting to get my MAX chip in the mail and a couple other things set before I crank my boost back up again to tune it.

The only stumble I have at the moment is right when it swichtes from negative manifold pressure to possitive, not just from idle but while cruising also. As long as I take off from a stop with >0 pressure then I don't get the stumble.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by eniac
So you mean the cells would change 500 RPM late or that while driving the displayed RPM was off by 500? I have RPM displayed on my AVC-R and my Link, both show about 100 RPM less then the tach but match up with each other at any speed.

When reviewing the datalog on the dyno,it would show a rich or lean spot at say 5000 rpms.When you went into the LINK AFM and made the adjustment at the same 5000 rpm as the datlog,it would have an effect on the AFR at 5500 rpms and not at the 5000 rpms where you made the change.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboTim
When reviewing the datalog on the dyno,it would show a rich or lean spot at say 5000 rpms.When you went into the LINK AFM and made the adjustment at the same 5000 rpm as the datlog,it would have an effect on the AFR at 5500 rpms and not at the 5000 rpms where you made the change.
That is EXACTLY what happened to me.
It makes you "chase" it - and you never catch up.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spanky
This is the very problem that I am having , from a standing start the car stumbles its way from 1500 rpm - 2800 rpm, at that point the turbo has begun to spool up and from that point forward things smooth out but it is a pain to wait for this very flat patch in the accelaration to pass each time I pull away from a light. I am new to turbo ownership so i need to study this more and see if it can be corrected before I make a decision about changing anything. Thanks to all for the feedback.
It can be tuned better than that. The hesitation I had was a momentary pause after applying throttle in 1st gear. It seemed to me that it needed a throttle pump adjustment.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:24 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
m42 - i am VERY VERY interested to hear power figures or acceleration numbers from these systems relative to turbo size.

The untuneable flat spot comes from transfer.

This dyno chart was one of mine with the link AFM.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes - oz - that is probably the best tune possible wth that setup and stll the afr is horrble.
the worst part is that because the transferfunction in the motronic is a cluster****, you cannot change the boost at all without retuning.
this is because the motronic has no clue what to do with timing.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be sure you are in the center of the cell or zone, both MAP and RPM, otherwise it can change the surrounding sites. The software knows exactly where you are and interpolates which site to change the most. If you are towards one side, Top or bottom, the site you are in may not be changed as much as the one next to it. This is the way interpolation works here I think.

I know the problem, not the solution here. With that Hand held module, there is not way of telling where in the site you are. The only way is to know before the MAP and RPM values you must be at before changing. Try to get the RPM and MAP values to be equal to the center of that site, then make the change. Holding the engine there is difficuit for sure. With a little practice, I'm sure it can be done.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

the worst part is that because the transferfunction in the motronic is a cluster****, you cannot change the boost at all without retuning.
Yes, and a large part of the reason to go to stand alone.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes - oz - that is probably the best tune possible wth that setup and stll the afr is horrble.
How do we get around the transferfunction 'cluster****''?

Rogue
Old 07-20-2007, 01:32 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I used mine with pretty good luck, took a few a days to get a handle on it but I never had the stumble problem as most people did, not sure why. I sent several maps to danno back in those days etc. and got a few better chipsets burned for my time. I did go 12.3 at the strip with one and a 60-63 turbo. I like my vitesse better now, but I still have my wholemap setup boxed up somewhere around here. I considered trying to make it work on the turbo festiva I did for a guy!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

bacdoupe-
Do you have your settings saved in a file you could post up here?

OZ-
I think I have your settings file, but if you still have it, others may benefit.

I agree the Motronic is a huge problem... It is not nearly fast enough to handle the immediate transition in the AF signal. The stumble, I believe, is due to the delay the DME causes in the system. I can imagine the delay is due to cumbersome programming or maybe the processor is just flat out too slow. The i8051 doesn't seem like it would be unable to handle MAP based engine management. though...
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by cpt_koolbeenz
bacdoupe-
Do you have your settings saved in a file you could post up here?

OZ-
I think I have your settings file, but if you still have it, others may benefit.

I agree the Motronic is a huge problem... It is not nearly fast enough to handle the immediate transition in the AF signal. The stumble, I believe, is due to the delay the DME causes in the system. I can imagine the delay is due to cumbersome programming or maybe the processor is just flat out too slow. The i8051 doesn't seem like it would be unable to handle MAP based engine management. though...
I pretty much have know idea how to properly tune my Link but I'm slowly learning. Seeing some others settings would help to help me stay somewhat around the range I need to be in. I bought this MAP used and it was tuned for an '86 so I have no idea how far from default the current settings are. I just tossed it in my car and it worked. Now that I'm making some changes I need to retune it.

Has anyone tried using TPS accel mode rather then MAP? I read this is supposed to eliminate delays or dead spots.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
Has anyone tried using TPS accel mode rather then MAP? I read this is supposed to eliminate delays or dead spots.
Try both modes. One might work better for you than the other. When I had the Link MAP, I found that MAP accel worked better for me at reducing flat spots, but be careful about adding too much acceleration enrichment. More than a few percent enrichment would cause my car to bog under acceleration. However, I could never totally eliminate flat spots at throttle tip-in, although they weren't too bad after tuning.

Also, I wouldn't try to duplicate anybody else's tuning maps. Everybody, including me, seemed to end up with very different settings.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:08 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Yeah, you will have different settings, but the trends should be similar...

Originally Posted by Jake951
Try both modes. One might work better for you than the other. When I had the Link MAP, I found that MAP accel worked better for me at reducing flat spots, but be careful about adding too much acceleration enrichment. More than a few percent enrichment would cause my car to bog under acceleration. However, I could never totally eliminate flat spots at throttle tip-in, although they weren't too bad after tuning.

Also, I wouldn't try to duplicate anybody else's tuning maps. Everybody, including me, seemed to end up with very different settings.

Quick Reply: Guru Piggyback Map 2 units.