Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"Neutral" torsion bar setting w/ coilovers - magic or myth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Except you cannot buy Charlie arms right now. He has been out of production for some time. Supposedly he has someone else working on them but until they meet Charlie's approval you can't get them for any amount of money......
Hey Chris - any reason he is out of production? To low of a volume?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Hah - that's were I got you. I talked to Charlie and he actually calculated (real engineering not anecdotal failure rates) the strength of the bored out knuckle vs the strength of the pin and said it did not significanly weaken the knuckle.
Well, as long as the individual with a financial stake in producing and marketing his own product says that the required modification necessary to use his product doesn't "significantly" weaken a critical suspension component without actually providing hard data (my ***umption of course), then I guess I'll accept the "fact" that his arms are superior.

Did Charlie provide data sheets detailing his tests and calculations, or are you merely taking his word for it (which would make his data anecdotal by definition as well)?

[Disclaimer-I am in no way implying that Charlie hasn't performed extensive testing, simplying pointing out the fact that there are no third party comparisons to base our discussion on which forces us to rely upon manufacturers statements (which we all know are heavily biased)].
Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Wow - are we beating this *****. I did get the graphical FEA stress analysis from him which I posted on the other page. Could you post up the Blaszak FEA analysis when you get the chance ; ' ) I did not ask for the stress analysis at that point because it was obvious he did his homework, i.e. solid modelling for his arms. It wouldn't be a big deal to model the steering knuckle and I am ASSuming he did that as he did all of the other analysis.

So, we both made ASSmuptions about the respective arms, howvere the Charlies follow generalliy accept good engineering practices, and were designed using FEA analysis, while the Blaszak arms have a couple engineering design deficiencies that could result in catostrophic failure, and no (to my knowledge) computer aided analysis.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 01:52 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are charlie's arms made from a single piece of metal? what metal? is it cnc machined or what?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I’ll add my 2 cents (in the form of a pageant award) in since I have played with most of these –
Best looking – Charlie arms.
Adjustability – Blaszak
Commercial Solution (trust worthy, customer support and available) – Racers Edge
Trust my Life on – Fabcar
Cheapest – Original Factory rebuilt

If your arms fail from binding – its not their fault, you set up the suspension wrong!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

CNC machined from a solid piece of aluminum (probably 6066 T6 - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ).
Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

They are made from a metal called unobtanium, which is why they are currently not available. It's an element located on the periodic chart between costtoomuchium and screwyoumyarmsarebetterthanyoursium.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780
Does that mean I won the battle of posting stamina? I was going to give up several posts again but the took a hit of Red Bull and realized arguing over a now meaningless argument was more fun than doing work. I should be working on the car rather than beating dead horses on the Rennlist. I did find the ultimate way to not have your control arms break - put them in a racecar that doesn't run. Kind of boring but safe and they look cool.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
CNC machined from a solid piece of aluminum (probably 6066 T6 - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ).
7075T7 - sorry...I couldn't help myself. Apparently I'm Charlie's pimp.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Does that mean I won the battle of posting stamina?
Yes Skip, you win. Ha ha no way in hell buddy!!
I did find the ultimate way to not have your control arms break - put them in a racecar that doesn't run. Kind of boring but safe and they look cool.
Hey, don't get too down on yourself. I'm sure you'll have that technodyne race car running in no time.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I just saw this auction (I have no affiliation): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/944-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like a great deal for early offset Fabcar arms. You can replace the pins and bushings by buying those parts separately from OG Racing.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Hey Chris - any reason he is out of production? To low of a volume?

Right now his interest is in brake kits and 996 GTwhatever engine parts. That's it. Rosemary told me Charlie has a guy making some arms for him to inspect for quality. Charlie is very **** about his products and will not sell anything if it does not meet his requirements, whatever they are.

Hopefully we will be able to get them in the near future.

Quick Reply: "Neutral" torsion bar setting w/ coilovers - magic or myth?