Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

problem starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Brittania
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem starting

my 951 will not start on first try. no matter how long I crank it. But it will always start on my second attempt. The problem is worse when its sat for more than an hour. I've replaced the fuel regulator and damper,also I replaced the injector seals. Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speed reference sensor comes to mind.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Brittania
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was leaning more towards the fuel pressure, since it starts fine if not sitting for more than an ho.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

True that hot starts are difficult when the FI components start to go bad, as is the case with a Fuel Pressure Regulator or Pump, but you would a) have black smoke or b) have a noisier than normal pump in most instances. Do you have any visible symptoms of a component going bad?

On my 951 it would not start on the first try but only after "wiggling the reference sensor wires." Looking into the problem we just found that one of the speed reference sensors appears to start malfunctioning when the car reaches operating temperature, hence the difficulty with hot starts. I've replaced it with a new unit ($$$) and am still testing the results, though.

Quick Reply: problem starting