Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Precautions when installing a MLS gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precautions when installing a MLS gasket?

Reading the archieves lots of posts point out that operator error installing the MLS HG is the cause of leaks (along w/ improper torquing but there's a good amount of info out there on that). So what is the proper steps when installing a MLS HG? Can people elaborate on their methods for keeping surfaces clean; ensuring the gasket layers are flat; etc... incase I'm over looking something?

My application will be on a clean...clean block mating surface (checked for flatness), a freshly decked head, latest revision MLS HG, all new hardware (raceware). All mating surfaces wiped down w/ ethanol before installation...no copper spray/sealants of any kind.

Sorry if the question sounds stupid...I've built a couple of motors in my day but this is the first w/ MLS.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried one..and had an external leak near the lifter oil pressure port.

I think the most important thing have is a smooth finish with no nicks, scratches, etc. As you know, spring steel doesn't fill cracks.

Cometic recommended some silicone on the gasket around the warm-up port near cylinder 1.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Do what you mentioned plus the sealant around the coolant passage in the front (the one that 'sticks out'). In addition you may have to tighten the two bolts at the coolant passage tighter than stock.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:00 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

i had a little leak with the first one i installed 'dry'. now we use ACL hylomar can spray sealant on the entire surface of the gasket front and back. never had a leak after that.
Sean

Quick Reply: Precautions when installing a MLS gasket?