Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interesting alternator swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Cool, good idea. Yeah that looks nothing like the stock one in my old 83 944. What made you think that?

The mount actually made me think it was a 944 alternator. At first I thought it was a bolt-on mount from an early model 944 because the width of the top mounting point (the one that the bolt goes through) was about 1 inch narrower than the 951 mount. So naturally I assumed that the early model 944 bracket would bolt onto the 2.5 block and that was how they got the smaller alternator. I've never seen an early 944 alternator so I didn't know by looking at it. It wasn't until I took a close look at the mounting bracket (the one bolted to the engine block) that I noticed someone used a band saw to cut it down to size. That was when I realized that the alternator could have come from almost any other car.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The one thing that people seem to be missing is that the alternator in the pic has failed. Ask yourself, why did an alternator that looks fairly new and has no age patina on the copper windings fail? It may be nice to have a smaller alternator for track use, but that thing looks new to me. Cooling shrouds aside, in a long list of replacement alternatives, I think Suzuki would be my last choice unless Lucas Electric was still in business.
Just to be clear - the alternator in the picture is the new alternator and not the old one. The old one was corroded with age and I don't know how long it had been in the car. As for why the old one failed I don't know. We think it was the diodes as the brushes looked in good condition. In regards to the Suzuki part you have to remember that someone else supplies the alternators for most manufacturers (Bosche, Nippendenso, etc). When looking in the catalogs at pictures it looked very similar to some Volkswagen alternators. I'm sure you have no issues using Volkswagen parts in your 951, right?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Just to be clear - the alternator in the picture is the new alternator and not the old one. The old one was corroded with age and I don't know how long it had been in the car. As for why the old one failed I don't know. We think it was the diodes as the brushes looked in good condition. In regards to the Suzuki part you have to remember that someone else supplies the alternators for most manufacturers (Bosche, Nippendenso, etc). When looking in the catalogs at pictures it looked very similar to some Volkswagen alternators. I'm sure you have no issues using Volkswagen parts in your 951, right?
Thanks for the clarification on the pic; I thought that was the one you saw in the car when you tried to help, sorry my bad. Do you know the amperage rating on the Suzuki unit because my use would be 90% street? If it can adapt to the 951 Porsche shroud I have no problem. And yes, I have a few VW parts on my cars but the best is the sunvisor clips with the detent ball. Trust me Nippodenso isn't on my list of favorites either. I have had my share of problems with Japanese electronics also so I'm an equal opportunity hater. An electronic fuel pressure control module on my older Q45 was over $500; I could do the same with a 3-bar Bosch unit for $70 if it would fit.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

To be honest I don't know much about the Suzuki unit and thought that maybe someone else here had seen something like that used before. I too was concerned about amperage - after all why would the 951 alternator be so large in comparison if it wasn't meant to develop more current? Obviously for a race car this wouldn't be a big deal but in a daily driver it could be. I was just intrigued by the fact someone came up with a way to swap the alternator that appeared to work well and completely solved the interference problem between the alternator and large turbo.

Quick Reply: Interesting alternator swap