Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Passing emissions with no cat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They test on rollers in TX, at least the places I've ever been..

Anyway, I guess the only thing to do is take the car down there and see how it goes. If it fails, I'd imagine the first thing they'll do is look and see that I don't have a CAT though, and then they'll surely right that on my papers and tell me to come back after I install one. At that point I'll have no choice but to buy one...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Danny,

I took my VW Fox to the inspection place at Green Oaks and I-20 and failed several times...but they never looked for my cat. Where do you usually get your inspections done?

-Darwin
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i just have the hook for $80 and my car passes with flying colors and a reciept to show that i passed
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I passed the Colorado test with Vitesse MAF & chips and cat delete with no problem, at least number wise.

The owner of the Jiffy Lube I took it to is a guy I went to high school with. He came out and said "Does that thing have a cat on it?". I said "No". He said "Is it supposed to?". I said "Yes." He said what happened to it?" and I said "I took it off. Why, did it fail on the numbers?". He said "Oh, no, the numbers are good enough to pass the new car standard, never mind a 20 year old car but it has to have the cat.". I said "Ok, I'll go home and put it on, I still have it, should take me a couple of hours." His employee who actually runs the emissions tests was standing there and my friend said "If he says he's going to go put the cat on then I believe him, so let's just sign off on it." Then he turned and gave me a big wink...

Good news is that at least in Northern Colorado they phased out emissions testing and that was the last one I'll have to do. It still boggles my mind that it could pass the new car standards, especially with no cat!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:04 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

I've taken it to the Kwik Kar on Matlock and Green Oaks before, can't remember where I took it before that. I remember last year my HC's were like 1496 out of 1500 or something.. right on the edge, so that's why I'm worried. Of course, my old CAT may have been pretty clogged up causing the numbers to go high.

Quick Reply: Passing emissions with no cat?