Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

easy question(search did not answer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Outkasted
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default easy question(search did not answer)

Ok i have been reading countless pages of turbo information on this site. I have a question what is the equivalent of a k27/6. Is it a gt25. I am looking to change turbo's and don't want big numbers and want a good street car. I am thinking if i do it i don't want a premade kit not VR even though i hear it is the best. I kinda like being different. So what is the closest turbo to a k27/6 or k27/8 that come in a divided or dual scroll compressor. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Another part to this question. What would you have to do on a stock 2.5l with stock turbo to get full boost at about 2800 rpm. Would you need to change turbo's. I want to have boost sooner than stock and if i can achieve 300hp at the same time would be great. My previous post is what i thought would do it but i would like some input? Thanks again for any information?

Last edited by Outkasted; 07-06-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all. I have a powerhaus turbo that is a k-27/8. It is noticably larger on the hotside than the 26/6. I was told that 300 HP is NOT possible unless you upgrade the utrbo. With this point clarified when you operate with the 27/8. I am not sure that a larger turbo will spool sooner, I would think that it would be later but kick in stronger. Also, with the k27/8, MAF and chipset you wont notice the turbo lag, it will almost be eliminated due to the raw power of the 27/8 and the MAF. the 27/8 will get you to 375 HP but I am not sure myself how long or how safe this power can be enjoyed on this motor after all it is a 2.5 liter engine, but again it does have very strong internals, like the cylinder walls, camshaft, pistons and so on. I think most piggyback programs like perfect power SMT6 will allow you to control the spool levels and powerband. Personally, I am very cautious about opening pandoras box and this is why I am putting the car to turbo S specs, well a little beyond. I am going with the k27/8 Lindsey MAF, chipset,Pro-M piggyback, Rc racing 55#boners and a 38MM tila wastegate and BOV. I want that pop off sound of the Brumos Porsche 930 from back in the day.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Outkasted
Instructor

Well i don't really want a k27. What i really want to know is which turbo that comes in twin scroll configuration is closer to a k26/6 or k27/8. My thoughts where this. If i go with a twin scroll that is close to the stock size i can run my current autothority maf kit and just change the turbo itself the crossover pipe and down pipe to accomidate the new turbo and should at the same time achieve quicker spool and a little hight hp somewhere near 300hp.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:49 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

to make it more responsive get a "boost enhancer" from promax motorsport there are heaps of similar things around.(an inline pressure releif) this will hold back your wastgate (boost control signal) until you have 80 or 90% of full boost .
a 3" exhaust starting at the back of the turbo i found switching to the non turbo camshaft made my car stronnger of boost and spooled up faster . .
seems you are well suited to the 300 hp kit sold by many they ussely have boost enhancer thing a fuel pressure reg chip set wastgate shimms .
get a basic power up kit exhuast then you are likely to be around 300 hp you are then considering maf conversion and/or turbo upgrade . some will consider the turbo and maf kit more of a priority than the exhuast .
all the upgrades other than the turbo will make it spool up quicker. and a late fancy small (350hp) gt bbturbo will spool up a shade quicker .
Old 07-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Outkasted
Instructor

Thanks for all the input thus I am learning alot and also still using the search function far however,

I guess i should be a little clear on the car as is. I have a 3 in catback exhaust, tial 38mm wastegate, mbc, lindsey racing stage 2 head, test pipe uninstalled and autothority maf kit uninstalled at the moment. I don't believe the maf kit is going to give me the quick boost i am looking for. So i have started to try and research similar turbo's to stock that spool quicker. So far the twin scroll turbo is the most interesting thing i have found and I am trying to figure out which turbo is as close to stock size maybe a little bigger that comes in twin scroll design. The other part of my question is similar to the first as is there anything i can do the my cars present state to get it to spool quicker besides getting a different turbo.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should check out the thread started by Nize about his new turbo. The title is:

turbocharger review - pauer tuning

Other than that, LR got 305 HP out of a pretty stock 'S'... basically just with MBC, Russell's chips FPR and 4" exhaust. This was with stock intake.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Outkasted
Instructor

Thanks alot, i will check that out.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd also add to this that there seems to be an underlying opinion that buy having larger h/p engines that you can't drive them around town. I really don't believe this is true. I guess it is what you want from your engine but my idea is that to have a turbo charged car, it should exhibit some turbo characteristics. In other words if you want something that is totally linear in response get a V8 or some 16v n/a thing. With a turbo the whole hit is the hit itself. I want to feel when my turbo cuts in. I'm not talking about putting something unrealistic on there that would be on a 7 sec drag car, but within reason having a bigger turbo won't make the car undriveable. Of course going up in capacity helps a lot to give you some extra tq, but even on my old 2.5 with nothing more than some Vitesse afm chips and a dpwg my 26/8 didn't really hit until high 3000's and except off the line to about 20mph, it was absolutely fine and not many could keep up on the road I can tell you. Now with stage 5 turbo, big cam etc you'd think it would be hopeless on the street. Well not so (for the 4 days I was running it in) it was fantastic and I was running only .4-.5 psi and 4500rpm. So it was not close to reaching into the mod's potential and yet it felt about the same as my old engine on 1.3bar. In other words don't be afraid of going up in turbo size as long as you do one or two other things with it.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Outkasted
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I have pretty much decided i want to be around the same size as a turbo S maybe a tad bigger. I just need to figure out what size turbo comes with dual scroll. I think i will contact speedforceracing to see if they can give any input.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i still say the front half of your exhaust and the non turbo cam will make it spool a little quicker . as for the dual scroll are you considering gated 2 stage twin scrol.?or are you considering running 2 pipes in to the dual scrol (longer secondaries) I'm playing around with a few variable AR turbos witch take this a little further .
Old 07-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

i am looking at replacing the crossover pipe with two 1.5 inch pipes that run to the turbo and two pipes that run seperate all the way to the wastegate. basically similar to

http://www.airpowersystems.com/wrx/a...roll/turbo.htm

The fact that it spool so soon is intrersting. But i want to stay close to stock size turbo to keep from having to worry about alot of custom tuning as far as piggyback and chips plus i should not have to rworry about any surge problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:41 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

But i want to stay close to stock size turbo to keep from having to worry about alot of custom tuning as far as piggyback and chips
I hope you do not mean you are planning on running the stock chips with a different turbo.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

No i have autothority chips with the maf kit. I have not installed that yet. I am just doing research and trying to stay close to a turbo S setup so i don't have to do alot of dyno tuning.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

wow i would have worked for air powersystems doing prototyping but it was too far from my home .
i will run twin 2" to the turbo on my 3.0 . I think your really on to something . what size are the 2 pipes now? and what size is the single pipe ?
people fear the restriction but as it is less restrictive than the turbo it makes sense to step the gas velocity up at this earlier stage .

Quick Reply: easy question(search did not answer)