Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

easy question(search did not answer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The crossover pipe is 2.5 inch so i figure if four pipes join down to 2.5 than two pipes should be able to join down to 1.5 and not have any flow issues. I should not run into too many fitment issues since the two pipes should not bigger than 3 inches if done right. All sounds easy now but i guess i will find out how easy soon as i have to find somewhere to do the pipes soon and figure out turbo sizing. Well first i have to get my car running right. I still have a cutout issue at WOT at about 4k in 4th gear.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crossover pipe is not 2.5" the pipe with insulation is... but the actual pipe is closer to 2" Total CFM equalling a 2.5" would be much larger and not the best choice for quickier spool with a 300hp goal.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i just did the numbers and twin 1.5 will flow similar to single 2.2 inch. there is no way it will it will be a problem i may just compromise and run twins to the wast gate t off i'm starting to think twin 2" is to big for my 3.0
Old 07-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Very nice info gt37, but how did you calculate that. I never did know the formula i was just using basic common sense and simple math. 95one Thanks for that info. I had planned on measuring the crossover pipe after i got it off. Now i don't have to take it off to find out. I can just adjust my plans from here. I will just take it off once i find a good shop to do the work.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:05 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the cross section of tube is Pie R squared so since both numbers are times pie you cancel that part for basic comparisons you then just compare the R squared values to each other so R is radius half pipe dia .
sorry i just guessed 2.2 as it was more than 2 and less than 2.5 didn't have a root button on my calc . if we want to do it accurate we would subtract tube wall thickness to . yeh the crossover pipe is twin wall and a wierd *** metric size ..
the other thing is use stainless pipes and right next to each other and wrap them in thermo wrap
2 pipes will shed more head than one and that heat is energy wanted to drive the turbo .
then when you've done this you have a new fire hazard the fiberglass thermo wrap will catch stray oil when it is well soaked it is super dangerous as it has the hot pipe in it . so watch out for oil /fuel leaks and some wraps have foil on the out side or you can just use fiol on the outside
Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Outkasted
Instructor

I thought of the thermal wrap, but did not think of the fire hazard. I think i will go with out the wrap. I do not like the idea of the fire hazard especially how often i kept finding little oil leaks in the past then had to fix not knowing how long they had been leaking because there was no oil spots and my level was good. Just looking around the engine bay and found them. I still need turbo information though. I have read alot and still no answer to what turbo is about the same as a k27 water cooled and comes in twin scroll.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

if you go single scroll and join the 2 pipes at the turbo you are likely to get the same benift and your wastgate can T off from ther as well . i think the best turbo by a mile is one on the gt28rs set ups that are around for 2lt nissans . there is just millions of them witch has driven the price down they claim to make around 350 or so hp just saw a ball bearing one for on ebay for 400 buy now even if you conceid and get single scroll join the 2 pipes at the tubo just use the integral watgate they come with you will be able to get 3" dump pipe for it for about 100bucks . tha fact that your fabricating the plumbing into the turbo opens up heaps of far more cost effective options .

there are heaps of twin scroll ihi turbos for 13b mazda rotarys the smaller ones are around 350 hp
also hiflow setups for varous toyotas are right in the ball park toyota called in "twinentry turbine"
Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K27-Turbo-Turbocharger-87-A-R-Mustang-Supra-BMW-T3-T4_W0QQitemZ170128618671QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 AM
JE_951
Pro

There is a guy on here edman951 (http://www.geocities.com/edman951/home.html) that is runing a gt35r and is hitting 1 bar boost at (I think) 3100rpm. I would think that a gt30r would give you 1 bar at maybe 2700rpm. Guessing it would be good for about 400hp?

IF you want good spool with great efficiency then contact pauertuning. Nize did a pauetuning write-up on his turbo and loved it.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
First of all. I have a powerhaus turbo that is a k-27/8. It is noticably larger on the hotside than the 26/6. I was told that 300 HP is NOT possible unless you upgrade the utrbo. With this point clarified when you operate with the 27/8. I am not sure that a larger turbo will spool sooner, I would think that it would be later but kick in stronger. Also, with the k27/8, MAF and chipset you wont notice the turbo lag, it will almost be eliminated due to the raw power of the 27/8 and the MAF. the 27/8 will get you to 375 HP but I am not sure myself how long or how safe this power can be enjoyed on this motor after all it is a 2.5 liter engine, but again it does have very strong internals, like the cylinder walls, camshaft, pistons and so on. I think most piggyback programs like perfect power SMT6 will allow you to control the spool levels and powerband. Personally, I am very cautious about opening pandoras box and this is why I am putting the car to turbo S specs, well a little beyond. I am going with the k27/8 Lindsey MAF, chipset,Pro-M piggyback, Rc racing 55#boners and a 38MM tila wastegate and BOV. I want that pop off sound of the Brumos Porsche 930 from back in the day.
For the love of god, please don't offer any more advice until you understand what you're talking about.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
First of all. I have a powerhaus turbo that is a k-27/8. It is noticably larger on the hotside than the 26/6. I was told that 300 HP is NOT possible unless you upgrade the utrbo. With this point clarified when you operate with the 27/8. I am not sure that a larger turbo will spool sooner, I would think that it would be later but kick in stronger. Also, with the k27/8, MAF and chipset you wont notice the turbo lag, it will almost be eliminated due to the raw power of the 27/8 and the MAF. the 27/8 will get you to 375 HP but I am not sure myself how long or how safe this power can be enjoyed on this motor after all it is a 2.5 liter engine, but again it does have very strong internals, like the cylinder walls, camshaft, pistons and so on. I think most piggyback programs like perfect power SMT6 will allow you to control the spool levels and powerband. Personally, I am very cautious about opening pandoras box and this is why I am putting the car to turbo S specs, well a little beyond. I am going with the k27/8 Lindsey MAF, chipset,Pro-M piggyback, Rc racing 55#boners and a 38MM tila wastegate and BOV. I want that pop off sound of the Brumos Porsche 930 from back in the day.

I have to agree with Jeremy, dude - it is very easy to conclude that you are confused by reading your post.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt because I am not angry about the cancellation of the gay pride parade like Jeremy - but try to clarify your points please.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

How similar is a GT28RS to stock? Is it a little larger? Dual BB sounds nice though
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Tms951
Pro

how about a gt28rs? You could tim at speed force make a cross over and down pipe flanged for it. I know this turbo spool quick and makes well over 350whp on a 1.8L VW turbo engine. Full boost is like 3500rpm on that engine, and runs 28si on pump gas.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

The gt28rs sounds interesting. I will have to look up more information about it. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

gt28rs turbo is a very popular turbo, i just do not know how it will size up with a 2.5 liter compared to the normal application like a 2.0 or 1.8 liter. Then again a gt30 is considered a large upgrade for our cars.

If you find out more information let us know, i have always been interested in putting a gt28rs onto a 951.

Quick Reply: easy question(search did not answer)