Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT Acura oil drain plug situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:40 PM
bigred1001
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Acura oil drain plug situation

I was spending the afternoon on the commuter car, and during the oil change went to put a new drain plug back on. I got to the point when you get that initial tight feel, then I usually give it another quarter turn, then F*%K, no resistance. I back the bolt out and there are remnants of metal thread wrapped around the bolt. I put a new copper washer on the old bolt and can get it to tighten, but not to the point I feel real comfy with. I drive 140 mi. round trip to work and wondering if there is an easy way to remedy this, maybe a tiny bit larger bolt and let it rethread? Damn I'm pissed.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that an aluminum pan? Most autoparts store sell first and second oversized drain plugs for guys who use too much kung fu grip when tightneing drain plugs. I'd start with one of those.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 PM
bigred1001
Pro

yes it appears to be aluminum. I think all the trips to instant oil change places put it on the brink. I used to only change the oil on the 951 myself but with 202k mi on the cl I want to get more aquainted with it.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

my brother in law did that to his tl the first time he changed the oil (amazing how i changed the oil in my wife's tl for years and never had that happen -- but that's another story). we bought an oversized plug and that appears to be working for him. you could always go to a junkyard and get a used pan.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
bigred1001
Pro

The oversized plug seems to work well. I did the tranny fluid today too. What a PITA. I had to modify my funnel to get into the dipstick tube, then still had some runoff and mess. On a more foul note, I thought I smelled something like rancid garbage when I was underneath the car and found a good sized woodchuck that had been snooping around a cooling fan at the wrong time. Now that fan is bent and the motor appears to have burnt out in the process. F'n rodents.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 AM
spammajamma
Pro

Default lol, that's hilarious!

Originally Posted by bigred1001
The oversized plug seems to work well. I did the tranny fluid today too. What a PITA. I had to modify my funnel to get into the dipstick tube, then still had some runoff and mess. On a more foul note, I thought I smelled something like rancid garbage when I was underneath the car and found a good sized woodchuck that had been snooping around a cooling fan at the wrong time. Now that fan is bent and the motor appears to have burnt out in the process. F'n rodents.
about the woodchuck not the damage

Quick Reply: OT Acura oil drain plug situation