Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Squealing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
UAZJ1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing belt?

So my 951 sounds like a beat up Pinto all of the sudden with a squealing drive belt. Assuming it is just a loose belt, I have pulled the airbox/air flow sensor/ intercooler piping out to attempt to tighten a belt tensioner. I think now I may have wasted my time as there is no tensioner visible up top.

Is there a way to adjust the belt tension from below? Clarks Garage mentions this (good thing I checked after pulling my car apart).

Anyone have a squealing 951?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Hahaha!!!! you have to raise up the front of your car and remove the plastic guard. Once you have that off you will have access to your accessory belt (serpentine) and the tensioners for that as well as the V-belt for your power steering

Its probably your accessory belt so its no big deal, just relax!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Generally speaking, the squeeling belt will be the serpentine accessory belt. The compensating belt will make a whine if its too tight (which sounds like you have a supercharger, interesting sound). The V-belt for the power steering might also make noise, but the squeeling sounds wont generally come from the timing belt or your compensating belt unless its a idle gear/roller that's dying but i have had no issues with things of that nature squeeling, just that alternator/ac belt.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 PM
bigred1001
Pro

There are two double nutted turnbuckle adjusters for the a/c,alternator or the power steering belt. The longest part of the job is removing the plastic covers. I tightened the a/c tensioner on mine last week but the squeal came back two days later so now I'm back to the drawing board.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:12 AM
UAZJ1
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up. I should have asked before pulling all my plumbing. Oh well, little practice never hurt.

Patrick, let me know if you find a new problem causing the squealing.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

Quick Reply: Squealing belt?