Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Widebody opinions wanted please.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt

if you love the wide body just for looks go right ahead then just widen the trake and stick with your big tires avoiding huge you will get speed from the wider track .

I agree that track width gives the first improvement on lap times. By increasing track width with 10 cm we typically see a gain of 2-3 sec.

The second place to look in our experience is F tires. A 944 Turbo with a standard body typically runs 245 F 285 R, resulting in a temperature difference of 20-30 C = 40-55 F. The F tires will get really hot, and the rear just warm. Wide body would give the opportunity to drive e.g 285 F and R, and this will result in equal temperatures and less understeer.

The tire width is largely decided by the HP of the car. 285 - 300 RWHP works fine with 265 - 285, 400 RWHP would require 315-335.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

So Hans, for vehicles of over 400whp with the 335's out the back, what fronts do you recommend? Is this based on slicks? Plus what sizes can you get onto 11" wheels?
Patrick
Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 AM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So Hans, for vehicles of over 400whp with the 335's out the back, what fronts do you recommend? Is this based on slicks? Plus what sizes can you get onto 11" wheels?
Patrick

Not from my own experience, I will limit myself to 350 whp (European though, which seems to be a bit more then US). In general I feel that our cars should be run with equal size tires F /R. You can see from 500HP cars like Woodies and the Kokeln/Vision Cars that they run 12" rims F/R.

On 11" wheels you could run 315's On 12" 335
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

So in your estimation it is necessary to have same size wheels front and back due to front end understeer and too much heat being generated there? I think I must have that wrong as I would think that having the wider rubber at the front than normal would increase understeer though the size itself and then the front not getting to heat? I guess it's a mental block of having same front and back as we are used to wider at rear.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:51 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

sounds good derek, if you make them it would save me a lot of hassle building

any pics of molds ?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HansB
Not from my own experience, I will limit myself to 350 whp (European though, which seems to be a bit more then US). In general I feel that our cars should be run with equal size tires F /R. You can see from 500HP cars like Woodies and the Kokeln/Vision Cars that they run 12" rims F/R.

On 11" wheels you could run 315's On 12" 335
Hans,
What is meant by " European though, which seems to be a bit more then US"

Over 400 whp we use 335 rears and 285 fronts, rear grip is more a problem here than fronts , understeer is balanced out by the right foot and chassis setup ....
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by derekvg
new here on this forum and found this thread instead.

Im making wide-body molds in my workshop as we speak.
Im yust making them for myself for racing purpose, but maybe when the results are nice i can start producing

front as well as the backside are one-piece parts and do not go with the original front etc. Front and back are about 10 cm wider.

i'm also making a complete flat ground effect underbody with diffusors ant splitter. all is just matter of time, since i'm not an old man with lots of spare time
Any more details on this Derek? What materials are you using. F/g or C/F? Any pic's of the design and e.t.a. on the parts?
Patrick
Old 07-03-2007, 07:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Hans,
What is meant by " European though, which seems to be a bit more then US"

Over 400 whp we use 335 rears and 285 fronts, rear grip is more a problem here than fronts , understeer is balanced out by the right foot and chassis setup ....
It's generally recognised for some reason that US dyno's are a bit optimistic by comparison to R.O.W. for cars with same mods.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

It's generally recognised for some reason that US dyno's are a bit optimistic by comparison to R.O.W. for cars with same mods.
That's interesting , is this before we beat them or After

Seeing that alot of Dynos used here are also ROW dyno's , i find that statement a bit backhanded... We just make more power here and the crazy ones in europe have figured that out, hence they shop and buy the same turbos and do the same crazy stuff as we do here... There lack of BHP is shown in the weak 1/4 times they post on average , the ones that really go fast , have the same american crazy setups.....

I had this Euro mag test 3 of our cars 5 yrs ago( including the one on the cover ) they made the comment after testing our 485 whp 535I BMW , that it was one of the fastest ones they have ever tested at the time , this is after showing us a list of big HP BMW's out of Europe ( mostly sweden) they ranked our 535 as the 2nd fastest they had ever tested and by BHP ratings we where 5th or 6th on their list ... so who is overstating BHP here..
THe swedes are close to state sides power and speed , but they do copy a lot of the big HP tricks and techniques we use here on turbo cars , with big turbos etc,etc..

THis practice is common in the 951 community , with small turbos , scratching for power .... ST being the only one that has stepped up ..
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 AM
derekvg
Track Day

Any more details on this Derek? What materials are you using. F/g or C/F? Any pic's of the design and e.t.a. on the parts?
Patrick
The molds are fibreglass polyester offcourse. The parts can be made polyester *** wel as carbon, but im experimenting with polyester first, since it is easier to work with.

Ill try to make a picture, but the molds wont give a good idea of the final results. They are very rough on the outside with some structures for strenght.
(how do i attach pictures?)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 AM
derekvg
Track Day

Isn't the difference in HP between US en ROW generally created by different correction methods? DIN, SAE I or II and other variatons on these?

I agree with HansB. Its seems like every US turbo project car beats out 400+ HP without that many modifications. I've seen cars with twice the modifications, investment and knownledge with 'only' a stable 350 HP.

Also don't u stare blind on big numbers (like americans tend to do). On the track, a 350 HP car with a flat power curve will beat the hell outa 400 HP car with a peaky curve.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Tms951
Pro

I have many Fiberglass parts on my car. I have used parts from GT racing, AIR, and IFC. The IFC parts were leaps and bounds better than the other stuff, I also think there kit looks better and they offer fender liners, which is a must for street cars.

LINK to IFC
Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by derekvg
Isn't the difference in HP between US en ROW generally created by different correction methods? DIN, SAE I or II and other variatons on these?

I agree with HansB. Its seems like every US turbo project car beats out 400+ HP without that many modifications. I've seen cars with twice the modifications, investment and knownledge with 'only' a stable 350 HP.

Also don't u stare blind on big numbers (like americans tend to do). On the track, a 350 HP car with a flat power curve will beat the hell outa 400 HP car with a peaky curve.
Well Sebring is a big international track , PCA is there every jan-feb , you are welcome if you think it is only the row cars have flat power curves..

But we digress, WE USE ROW DYNOS also , YOU CAN GET DIN, SAE, JIS ETC POWER READINGS, we have the same dyno's that row uses's it is very easy to compare by brand in aussie land they have dyno ,dynamics they are here too ,
we have one, easy comparsion , we have Dynapak also , it is easy to compare row reading if you are interested in comparing the numbers ...Also we have et's , every seen an row speed day doing drags , those 13 sec slips with low mhp tells the tale, most of are not make any power the time slip does not lie.. so no! we do not stare blind on big numbers , we just produce them ...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

euro vs US eh

let's all meet at the norschleife and settle it some day, perhaps the only track in the world were you just can't have enough power up the hills and straights.

to derekvg, where in .nl are you from? I'm visiting in july/august (my car gets tuned in NL)
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
That's interesting , is this before we beat them or After

Seeing that alot of Dynos used here are also ROW dyno's , i find that statement a bit backhanded... We just make more power here and the crazy ones in europe have figured that out, hence they shop and buy the same turbos and do the same crazy stuff as we do here... There lack of BHP is shown in the weak 1/4 times they post on average , the ones that really go fast , have the same american crazy setups.....

I had this Euro mag test 3 of our cars 5 yrs ago( including the one on the cover ) they made the comment after testing our 485 whp 535I BMW , that it was one of the fastest ones they have ever tested at the time , this is after showing us a list of big HP BMW's out of Europe ( mostly sweden) they ranked our 535 as the 2nd fastest they had ever tested and by BHP ratings we where 5th or 6th on their list ... so who is overstating BHP here..
THe swedes are close to state sides power and speed , but they do copy a lot of the big HP tricks and techniques we use here on turbo cars , with big turbos etc,etc..

THis practice is common in the 951 community , with small turbos , scratching for power .... ST being the only one that has stepped up ..

Thank you Wayne - I agree.
Its very insulting when some belittles your efforts after you have countless hours into engine alone!
Some of us like pretty paint and some of us like power.

Quick Reply: Widebody opinions wanted please.....