Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Widebody opinions wanted please.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, Guys, they are racing parts and i must say in stock trim the factory body panel gaps are a joke , fenders to hood, fenders to door gap etc..

They problem with gt is the weight , there stuff is just plain heavy
I have th original Panels from Holbert racing made from factory molds and the parts are paper in comparision to GT's , not good for the street , but perfect for racing which is what it was made for ........

The Holbert moulds where sold off years ago after his death , not sure who got them as Mrs Holbert was not able to tell me @ the time , but rumor has it, that they where bought by GT racing , but I'm not sure ...
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well by the sound of it the GT stuff is a p.i.t.a. to fit, and it's heavy. Almost not worth doing? The thing is that they have such a good catalogue of stuff...pity. I am exploring alternatives.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

anyone good at composites should be able to make some good stuff, lots of pre-preg, big autoclave should be good. (expensive)
Old 07-01-2007, 08:05 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well by the sound of it the GT stuff is a p.i.t.a. to fit, and it's heavy. Almost not worth doing? The thing is that they have such a good catalogue of stuff...pity. I am exploring alternatives.

my car weighs 2650 without me ....im not sure how much lighter i could get the car to be...i wonder what a 951 would weigh with a stripped interior and stock body parts.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by dougoh
my car weighs 2650 without me ....im not sure how much lighter i could get the car to be...i wonder what a 951 would weigh with a stripped interior and stock body parts.
Mine was around 2450 before I started changing panels and such. Light weight wheels can help by as much as 50lbs or more.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Doug, is your car completely stripped of insulation and other parts like p/s , a/c etc...
Old 07-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Just keep in mind that light also means flexible - and for a street car this will be difficult to keep in nice condition. It dosen't take much to create cracks from stones and such.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Doug, is your car completely stripped of insulation and other parts like p/s , a/c etc...
patrick...yep no power steering and a/c....etc....now i was told by PO that its 2650 maybe i will take it to a scale just to double check.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Mine was around 2450 before I started changing panels and such. Light weight wheels can help by as much as 50lbs or more.
wow..thats light...im not real sure but i think the 3 peice bbs wheels that i am using are pretty light but i guess ill take those off and weigh them just to know exactly
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Just keep in mind that light also means flexible - and for a street car this will be difficult to keep in nice condition. It doesn't take much to create cracks from stones and such.
Exactly, and that's what I want to avoid. What I'd like for the street/track is something like your white one or the ones pictured by Mike Markota which from appearances look very good.
So Doug, sorry to be vague but is all the insulation also stripped from your car?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

its all ego have any of these guys seen a real increase in performance . it may appair to have more tracktion but you've just thrown out 20 hp to turn it all .. have a look at the times a australian group a touring car does on 10" slicks when your that fast look out . are you able to accept how the surface area of a tyre contach patch is determined . the patch will be the same area and just a differnt shape .
if you put a full set of 944 challenge guards on your car from melbuorne and light seats your car wound need biger tires.. the only rear advantage of having monster tyres is you want them to last longer as your car wil just put about 1kg of rubber on the road per hoar if your flatout .

if you love the wide body just for looks go right ahead then just widen the trake and stick with your big tires avoiding huge you will get speed from the wider track .

broadford have those 968 rs style flares for 951
Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

porscha part melbourne and swan porsche perth bith have full good fitting body panael sets for heaps less than elswere geting a full pallet shiped in is 1500 bucks without any land tranfers to and from port
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Exactly, and that's what I want to avoid. What I'd like for the street/track is something like your white one or the ones pictured by Mike Markota which from appearances look very good.
So Doug, sorry to be vague but is all the insulation also stripped from your car?
yes patrick all the insulation is removed
Old 07-02-2007, 08:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
its all ego have any of these guys seen a real increase in performance . it may appair to have more tracktion but you've just thrown out 20 hp to turn it all .. have a look at the times a australian group a touring car does on 10" slicks when your that fast look out . are you able to accept how the surface area of a tyre contach patch is determined . the patch will be the same area and just a differnt shape .
if you put a full set of 944 challenge guards on your car from melbuorne and light seats your car wound need biger tires.. the only rear advantage of having monster tyres is you want them to last longer as your car wil just put about 1kg of rubber on the road per hoar if your flatout .

if you love the wide body just for looks go right ahead then just widen the trake and stick with your big tires avoiding huge you will get speed from the wider track .

broadford have those 968 rs style flares for 951
Well you may be right asking whether or not they're needed and at this stage I'm doing my homework so if I need to go up in size then I will be able to make that decision immediately. Also in my road car that I will be tracking, it won't have the advantage of super lightness so therefore maybe it will need a wider contact patch than something weighing 400-600lbs less? Not sure about that but it makes sense in theory. I do like the look of the wider rubber + using an extra 20hp to get it turning as you stated is not of great concern to me. I anticipate upwards of 450hp comfortably. When we get the 2nd engine it will have much more hp than that so then the extra rubber may be mandatory anyway.
Are you saying that the 944 challenge cars are running f/glass panels? They're stock size though yes? I'll email them to find out more.

"if you love the wide body just for looks go right ahead then just widen the track and stick with your big tires avoiding huge you will get speed from the wider track ."

Not entirely sure what you're saying here. I like reading your posts as it is often illuminating and always a challenge but you've got me beat on this one?? If you download the Google toolbar you get a free spellcheck. Not to be disrespectful but I think you should consider this as you seem to know a bit about cars and I get most of what you're saying (being an Aussie), but I think you may loose some of the others.
PS thanks Doug.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 AM
derekvg
Track Day

new here on this forum and found this thread instead.

Im making wide-body molds in my workshop as we speak.
Im yust making them for myself for racing purpose, but maybe when the results are nice i can start producing

front as well as the backside are one-piece parts and do not go with the original front etc. Front and back are about 10 cm wider.

i'm also making a complete flat ground effect underbody with diffusors ant splitter. all is just matter of time, since i'm not an old man with lots of spare time

Quick Reply: Widebody opinions wanted please.....