Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another clutch question

I’m in the process of replacing my clutch and I have run into a strange situation. After the new clutch disk and pressure plate were installed, the torque tube seems to fit a bit tighter between the clutch cover housing and the transaxle bell housing than before. The torque tube shaft and the transmission shaft at the clamping sleeve are about 1/8 inch closer then before. Logically, this would point to the torque tube shaft not being all they way inside the pilot bearing.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Am I risking catastrophic failure if I try run the car like this?

Thanks…
Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The torque tube shaft can slide around a bit.. I had to use a hammer and a piece of wood to correct it. Also, the clamping sleeve bolts shouldn't fit unless the drive shaft is correctly positioned, + or - an insignificant amount of play. (.020" or so)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the input Jeff. I tried the hammer and wood approach but the shaft just wouldn't budge. The clamping sleeve bolts fitted but only just. I used the bolts on either side of the torque tube to mate the surfaces together. I'm not comfortable with this. I'm leaning towards taking everything apart again.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:33 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how did it end up Antonio?

Quick Reply: Another clutch question