Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do you tell if a car has synthetic oil in it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gstreev
My car leaked a lot more when I switched to synthetic. You may want to try
a synth blend 1st. I used 10-30 Mobil 1.
By synth bled do you mean a semi-synthetic? If so i've been told from a guy who worked for Shell on development of Automotive Oils that Semi-Synthetics are a marketting ploy and should be considered to be virtually identical to normal mineral oils. Apparently to qualify as a semi-synthetic oil the blend only needs a very tiny amount of synthetic oil - and even then what is the point of a semi synth? All you are doing is dilutin the effect of the fully synthetic element of the oil with poorer performing mineral oil. I wouldn't waste your money - go for a good fully synthetic. Brakes and Oil - it's a false economy to scrimp - go for the best you can get or afford.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by sawood12
By synth bled do you mean a semi-synthetic? If so i've been told from a guy who worked for Shell on development of Automotive Oils that Semi-Synthetics are a marketting ploy and should be considered to be virtually identical to normal mineral oils. Apparently to qualify as a semi-synthetic oil the blend only needs a very tiny amount of synthetic oil - and even then what is the point of a semi synth? All you are doing is dilutin the effect of the fully synthetic element of the oil with poorer performing mineral oil. I wouldn't waste your money - go for a good fully synthetic. Brakes and Oil - it's a false economy to scrimp - go for the best you can get or afford.
You would assume that by synthetic blend they would be 50/50 synthetic and mineral oil...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I recently switched my truck from 10w-40 regular off the shelf crap, to Amsoil 10w-40 high performance. My truck burns a little oil, but the other day on a corner, the oil light flashed on. I pulled over, and no oil on the dipstick! eek! Took 2 quarts to get it back to the full mark (1 quart to get a reading halfway to full on dipstick). No damage was done (so I think). Does synthetic burn off easier? If dino oil 10w-40 would barely burn off, but synthetic 10w-40 burns off faster...should I run a higher weight? O, I did have the oil in for about 6k miles/ 6 months.

You live and learn, I regiously check it now!
I was using Amsoil 20W50 and switched to Valvoline VR1 Racing and instantly noticed less leaks! I get 3 quarts of the VR1 for the price of 1 qt. of Amsoil~
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by jyoon
Can you tell used synthetic oil from standard? If so, how can you tell? The po said he put synthetic oil in my car and it doesn't leak. I don't know for sure if he did or not. I don't want to put synthetic and have it leak if it isn't currently sythetic.
Unless you are going to track the car, just use regular Dino oil for street use...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Hey guys, I've heard that synthetic oils are used in newer cars due to tighter tolerances inside engines. Our cars were made back in the day with Dino oil and don't have these tighter clearances.

If your car generates ALOT of heat, one of the ways to combat that would be... get a more efficient oil cooler.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Loquat15
Hey guys, I've heard that synthetic oils are used in newer cars due to tighter tolerances inside engines. Our cars were made back in the day with Dino oil and don't have these tighter clearances.

If your car generates ALOT of heat, one of the ways to combat that would be... get a more efficient oil cooler.
either that or move up north to a cooler climate area
Old 07-03-2007, 03:15 PM
FastPirate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tms951
Drain the oil and then put synthetic in it. Then you will know whats in there. I would never drive around in a car with fluids from the PO, unless he ha a reciept for some thing like gear oil. For your own piece of mind just change the oil.
thats good advice. just change fluids.

Quick Reply: How do you tell if a car has synthetic oil in it?