Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How important is the turbo/brake fluid reservoir heat sield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
I tried putting it in, but it is too wide in the center, the intake is too tight and either the brake fluid reservoir has to come off or the intake to get it all the way down.. just gonna leave it like it is for now....
The only way I managed to get mine out was with all of the intake piping out of the way, and even then working around the turbo and crossover was much more of a PITA than you would think.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got it in last night, after a little bending and pushing, I secured on top and it fits nicely, PITA indeed...
Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can actually DOUBLE the *protection* this *heat* shield offers by wrapping it with tin foil. . .
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nize
awesome! i think i'm gonna remove mine too since the porsche engineers obviously don't know what they're doing! thanks for your expert advice !
. . .and don't act like the Porsche engineers are gods. If you have ever removed your factory wastegate you would know that there was at least one retard working in Stuttgart when your car was engineered.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

4 pages on a heat shield?

Originally Posted by tedwright
. . .and don't act like the Porsche engineers are gods. If you have ever removed your factory wastegate you would know that there was at least one retard working in Stuttgart when your car was engineered.
It was designed to be that way, as well as many other factory wastegates from other makes and models.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
LFA951
Drifting

What's wrong with the stock wastegate, twenty years ago, it was unique...oh well, I noticed that now with the heat shield on, the reservoir is less than half as hot...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Unique maybe....

But the engineers at porsche designed it to drop boost at certain rpms, same applies for turbo audi's, vw's and many import tuner cars.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

160 hp per liter, 180k miles with less than 2% leakdown, Cd kicking the hell out of the 911 and most sports cars, damn near perfect balance to go with the unbelievable reliability....yup, lots of retards in the Porsche engineering dept. Show me a car that can even come close to the above accomplishments and I'll grant your retards assumption. Lets take a look at the nearest 89 american car shall we? Nevermind, it was junked long ago. How about japanese cars? Show me a Jap car built in the 80s with pushing 200k miles on it that can come even remotely close to hanging with my car on the track (don't forget the original block, pistons, head etc.....didn't think so. They were gods back then...now they make SUV's.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Unique maybe....

But the engineers at porsche designed it to drop boost at certain rpms, same applies for turbo audi's, vw's and many import tuner cars.
Well, I have a stock wastegate and it holds 13 psi (which I have it set to) all the way to the redline with my stock K26/8, no reason to change....
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Added protection

Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is, does the brake fluid circulate through the whole system as you use the brakes????

I'm under the impression that it doesn't.... therefore the fluid at the calipers could be cool while the reservoir is hot - or vice versa.

Thing is, any way you slice it, heating up the brake fluid is bad, you can't argue that. And when you remove that shield, you are letting more heat towards the brake fluid. It may be a negligable difference, but how much $$$$ do most of you dump into mods on your cars that make a negligable difference?

I'm sure lots of guys run without it, but doesn't it just makes sense to run WITH it????
Old 06-14-2007, 02:42 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daigo
Added protection
i've asked this before but didn't get much response...the little bracket/shield that sits around the turbo waterpump, what is it protecting? is it a heat shield? because it seems like it's only protecting the upper metal part of the pump, not the lower plastic part.

it's been deleted on my car and i'm wondering if i should put it back (i'd have to get a new turbo-pump hose because the existing one is too short).
Old 06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by LFA951
I noticed that now with the heat shield on, the reservoir is less than half as hot...
Good use of common sense. Now you know that you've retarded the degradation of the brake fluid as it was intended.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
nize
Banned

i'm going to remove all the heat shields on the car. yeah ! that should make it much easier to work on the car, remove unnecessary weight, and improve reliability, performance, and gas mileage !
Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by nize
i'm going to remove all the heat shields on the car. yeah ! that should make it much easier to work on the car, remove unnecessary weight, and improve reliability, performance, and gas mileage !
You sooooooooooooooooooo funny!

Quick Reply: How important is the turbo/brake fluid reservoir heat sield?