Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exothermic ceramic coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laust, I fully concur on your statement regarding cracking rotors. I should have been more specific as to why heat transfer cracks rotors. The ceramic coating on rotor hats, etc, stabilizes the temperature, and resists heat transfer into the system... the result is less heat gradients, and less thermal stress. Next time, I'll be sure to be specific.

Rotors are not forced convection systems... nor are intakes. Having airflow on, across, or near a part does not dictate it being as such. If that were so, I guess everything is a forced convection system. Intakes are flow-paths for intake charges. Rotors are dynamic systems concerned with force transfer through friction surfaces. Each parts' primary purpose is absent of convection. I defined intercoolers as forced convection systems because, well... their only operating mode is forced convection!

Interesting how you call a real-world test superfluous... but somehow attest that a 2-5mph, or purely natural convection test in a kitchen, using a hair-dryer, is more applicable to finding which intercooler is better.

Testing a car in stable ambient conditions, with the car at operating temperature is repeatable. To say that's an oversimplification is silly. It's exactly how race teams test various designs... they put them on the racetrack and datalog. How does a datalogger make measurements more complicated, by the way? What if it's not readily available? What.. did they stop manufacturing them all of a sudden? This is rediculous.

I say again... natural convection does not accurately replicate forced convection. Your test is great if you want to find out the natural convection properties, and maybe even slow-speed, isotropic forced convection properties of the intercoolers in question. If you want to find out which makes a better intercooler for a 951, though... you'd best datalog them on 951s!

Quick Reply: Exothermic ceramic coatings?