Excitement short lived.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excitement short lived.....

Car is put together after a new radiator, cooling system flush, headers welded, new throttle body/tps and new injector seals.

The car ran great at no/low boost, around town and so on.

The clock hit's midnight, the streets are empty, i'm sure this site is very tempting, as my foot just found itself dead flat and hard as a brick on the pedal...

Suddenly, i smell a strog stench of petrol, really strong, everything else looked fine......

Went on the right shoulder, hazered lights on and brough the fire extinguisher with me as a precaution. By the time i got the hood open, there is a huge fire.......

I managed to put it out, called a towing service, got to me in 20 mins or so....

Now im home, the engine bay is covered in white power......and from what i see, injector 1 popped off the fuel rail, the clip is there and one of the fuel rail bolts on the intake is missing. I recall testing the fuel system with the engine off when i replaced the seals, and torquing down all 4 bolts to spec.......

Injector 1 is still leaking fuel as we speak, the connector on the injector harness is fried at that injector only.

Suprisingly, everything else is untouched at all............nada. I have an injector harness from my 88 NA, so that's not a big deal, how ever i require one new injector and have the system checked out to find out why it popped off.

Injector 1, wet even after the power:

Engine bay:

Thing is, there is Cyclone Gonu coming off the Arabia Sea headed this way, it is a category five storm and it already made it's way to Oman with wind speeds of 260kpr/161mph, it hits Dubai in the morning with wind speeds of 100kpr/62mph or so......

Sorry about the pics, they were taken with my phone.....
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951

Sorry about the pics, they were taken with my phone.....
Dude... you must've been at about what... 265,000 feet to take that picture with your cell phone!

J/K

Seriously... having ridden out numerous fairly big storms myself, keep safe. -Sorry about your fire issues, but at least you got to it quickly. -Good work!!!

Hope it all goes well from here on in... -keep safe!

Keith
Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Keith,
I was airborn, that stock K26/6 sure does pack a punch when on boost, enough to get the 951 in orbit

I just hope that the damage is restricted to the injector and injector harness......and thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I can say is, thank goodness you had that fire extinguisher.

I hope the damage is just superficial. On the early 951 cars I believe there was a factory recall for fuel lines that were prone to causing engine fire. I assume your car had this update done at some point?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Hos.

Sorry to see you had a fire too. My Halon extingisher is on order with Paragon. Keep us updated with how the clean-up goes.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:44 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
All I can say is, thank goodness you had that fire extinguisher.

I hope the damage is just superficial. On the early 951 cars I believe there was a factory recall for fuel lines that were prone to causing engine fire. I assume your car had this update done at some point?
Updated for free and still open recall from Porsche Middle East, the dealership took the costs.

Matt, will do, the intake is coming off tomorrow.........
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

auch, good think you caught it so early, for the future you want to replace that powder extinguisher with foam or some gas one. that powder is messy and makes stuff rust.

I'm having 1 automatic system where I pull the lever and it sprays foam over fualrail and that area, and also one in rear near tank. in addition I have a "loose" foam unit to help others or odd place fires. it's aluminium and adds very little weight.

hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
special tool
Banned

Hosrom - sorry to hear about the fire.
I am proud of you for bringing that extinguisher and bitch-slapping that fire.....
Plus 2 points for you.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry this happend to you. I use locktite blue on every nut/bolt that I remove and reinstall.....especially the fuel rail bolts!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anders44
auch, good think you caught it so early, for the future you want to replace that powder extinguisher with foam or some gas one. that powder is messy and makes stuff rust.

I'm having 1 automatic system where I pull the lever and it sprays foam over fualrail and that area, and also one in rear near tank. in addition I have a "loose" foam unit to help others or odd place fires. it's aluminium and adds very little weight.

hope you get it fixed soon.
Funny, i was just going to ask this about the extinguisher, so gas/foam is better? the one i had was an ACE one and used for grease and electrical fires

Originally Posted by special tool
Hosrom - sorry to hear about the fire.
I am proud of you for bringing that extinguisher and bitch-slapping that fire.....
Plus 2 points for you.
The day i bought my car, the day i got the extinguisher. Safety first, and as you can see, i only floor it when the roads are totally clear, a big no no in traffic.....

Originally Posted by Bill
Sorry this happend to you. I use locktite blue on every nut/bolt that I remove and reinstall.....especially the fuel rail bolts!
Something to consider, thanks!!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

HALATRON or (HALON if you can find it) is your friend.

It might cost more up front but if ya gotta use it the clean up is MUCH easier than this. Ok I am super glad you had an extingisher with ya. That saved the car, REALLY it did. These things can go up QUICK ! ! ! Sorry about what got burned,

IPSC
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Good idea to clean up the powder with water?

Just asking.......
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 PM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Good idea to clean up the powder with water?

Just asking.......
Just leave it outside with the hood up and maybe the cyclone will clean it up.

Just saying.........
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ittia
Just leave it outside with the hood up and maybe the cyclone will clean it up.

Just saying.........

Damn dude!
Hos, glad you and the car came out okay. We've all seen the pics of the guys whose car went up in smoke. Let us know what you do to clean it up and what the damage is.
BTW, if the storm gets to Dubai @ 60 knots wind speed, it will gust higher. Either way, this one won't be too bad. We Floridians ride out three of more of these a year.
Now 160? THAT would be F-ing scary crap!
Good luck bud.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
reno928s
Pro

I bring two things with me when I take my car out, fire extinguisher and marshmellows. If the extinguisher can't put the fire out , no need for it to go to waste. Reno

Quick Reply: Excitement short lived.....